Krausen Not Dropping When using Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

In my last few batches, the Krausen has not been dropping after 3+ weeks. I have been using the Wyeast Yeast Nutrient (although I have used it for some time and never come across this problem). I dont want to touch the Krausen or disturb it to get a gravity reading. Eventually on the last 2 batches I just racked with the Krausen still present (after like 25 days) and the batches came out fine.

Just wondering if this is a common problem with yeast nutrients or if it could be something else.

Thanks!

are you using US-05 ?

I am using US-05 on this batch (actually 2 5 gallon batches having the same problem) but the previous two were WLP001 & 1056 and I had the same problem.

Is this common for US-05?

The recipes were different for all of them.

I have come across a little bit of information on this board about the Wyeast Nutrient possibly causing the Krausen to get stuck at the top but I'm not sure.

Just wondering if I should give them a shake and see if the krausen falls to the bottom?

I can't remember using yeast nutrient in any of my brews (about 30 so far). I also prefer dry yeast, and US 05 is my go to. Never had krausen not drop. I would suspect the nutrient, try again without it. I rehydrate the dry yeast for about an hour, and usually have activity in 4-6 hours. :mug:

I've had that problem before with the Chico strain I was probably using yeast nutrient at the time. Chico usually takes about 2 weeks to flocc out for me as compared to three or for days for the British strains. Haven't had the problem with nutrient and the British strains.

I use yeast nutrient every batch and haven't had this problem. The last batch with Burton yeast was slow to drop but as soon as I added beerbrite it clear within a day

Yeah, its freeze dried instant isinglass. I have only used it the once but it works pretty good.

If you have hit your FG, you can always cold crash to get the yeast to drop out. Either use a fridge or put your beer in an ice bath.

Other than yeasty beer, what is the big concern about the Krausen?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back