Krausen at 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coastwx

Reaction score
I'm on batches #13 and #14, so still new to this and have ran across something different this time. I have two pales that have been in the primary for 3 weeks. These come from the same mash, but separate boils and hops additions. The other difference between batches is one was pitched with dry Notty and the other Denny's favorite (Wyest 1450). The Nottingham batch still has krausen, while the Denny's has settled and is ready for kegging. OG was in the 50's and both dropped to around 8-12 a week ago. Is Krausen at this point an issue or can I rack to a keg? Thanks!

I hd a wit beer that I pitched bottle harvested Hoegaarden yeast on Dec. 26th, that STILL had a 2" krausen on it three weeks later. I took a grav reading and it had reached terminal gravity, 1.010. So the beer was done, but the krausen still lingered. I finally gently swirled the beer to knock it down, and let it settle for another week before I bottled it. I'm not normally a fan of knocking them down, and usually let it do it naturally.

But some yeasts are low flocculating, and may have a difficult time. I figured since mine was bottle harvested, and I had pitched the starter at high krausen, maybe it was "genetically mutated" with the flocculation "gene" off or something. So I gently swirled it and let it fall.

I would take a hydrometer reading and see whether it is truly done or if it's stuck.

I wonder if you had one of the re-called Notty packets, that might be the reason for a slow finish. Take a reading before you do anything else.

Thanks a ton guys! I've used Notty almost exclusively since the start and have not seen this yet. I'll double check to make sure the gravity has stabilized at 1.010 and rack this weekend. I'm excited to see how the different yeast and hops will diversify these batches. Since Sat is homebrew day, I'm thinking of doing another double batch IPA this weekend :)

Back