Krausen after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earache

Reaction score
Last weekend I bottled my very first batch of cider. I was using EC1118 and it fermented way faster than I thought. SG was nearly 1.0 when I backsweetened and bottled. Within a day or two I had a layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottles and a layer of what looks like krausen on the top. Is that normal? The krausen should dissipate right? Just wondering if I ruined my cider somehow. TIA

Eric

I could be wrong on this but Krausen means that gas is escaping from your bottles. In order for a Krausen to form you have to have the ability for pressure to escape.

you didn't ruin it, but it could be a little dry, and yes, bill is correct on the gas escaping. my advice: duck when opening it :D

Well I just popped a bottle open and sure enough it bubbled over. It would seem like my bottles weren't leaking after all. Now wondering if it really was Krausen I saw. Before I opened the bottle, I tapped the top and all the "Krausen" sank to the bottom. After opening the cider was very cloudy with a layer of stuff at the bottom of my glass. Yeast? The taste was very dry as was expected, but considering the geyser I had, there was just a hint of carbonation. So now I'm not sure if I should let the bottles sit longer before I pasteurize or just do it now. I want some carbonation in my cider. What do you guys recommend?

Latest posts

Back