Kool-aid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Anybody ever made a wine using just yeast sugar water and koolaid? I have one going now just for fun. Not expecting a lot out of it but it didn't cost but a couple bucks to put together. Mike

have you tasted koolaid and water with out sugar? that's what its gonna be but with a hot alcohol taste.. to bring out the flavor of the koolaid you will need to stop yeast reproduction and backsweeten with sugar or let it ferment dry and add a unfermentabe alcohol sugar like splenda/stevia/maltodextrine ect..

have you tasted koolaid and water with out sugar? that's what its gonna be but with a hot alcohol taste.. to bring out the flavor of the koolaid you will need to stop yeast reproduction and backsweeten with sugar or let it ferment dry and add a unfermentabe alcohol sugar like splenda/stevia/maltodextrine ect..

Yeah... I think this might be the only way to make it drinkable :drunk:

I have a good feeling its going to taste like rocket fuel, good luck

You may be right on the rocket fuel. I didn't use much sugar to maybe keep it down a bit. Only got two dollars in it, so it will be cheap wine. Mike

I know people use the unsweetened KoolAid packet (that makes 2 quarts) to flavor their sweetened Skeeter Pee. I have talked to people who use 1 packet per gallon and others who use 2 packets per gallon--and they all enjoy the flavor.

Your recipe for KoolAid wine makes me think about a Canadian product called "Wonder Wine", http://www.wonderwine.com/, and commonly found on eBay. It is a powdered mix that you reconstitute with water, add sugar (so much for dry, so much for sweet) and add the yeast.

I find it interesting all the experiments we are willing to do--all in the name of winemaking. When my husband and I ventured into an area grocery store the day after Christmas I walked out with just about every box of chocolate covered cherries they had (the ones with the white gooey filling). He told me he did not even know I liked those. Told him they are okay but I then told him I was making wine from them. His response was "Seriously?". I am pleased to report I started that wine in late April and it cleared just this week, has a natural residual sugar, and is absolutely delicious!!! See--the strange things we do.

Keep us posted.

What's the worst that can happen? He gets something like the old college student party punch--a few bottles of soda and a bottle of Everclear in a plastic bucket.

What's the worst that can happen? He gets something like the old college student party punch--a few bottles of soda and a bottle of Everclear in a plastic bucket.

Oh man, you were definitely doing it wrong! If you use mostly applejuice, then some orange Tampico (not orange juice... has to be Tampico), and cranberry juice, you can dump an entire handle of Everclear in and barely even taste it.

Dangerous concoction :D

jungle juice is so good:D, he isn't going to get anywhere close to everclear, that stuff is like cheap moonshine lol.

Well it looked like there was no more activity so I racked it today. Sg is 1015 so it could have went farther. It is sweet not much alcohol taste but I never took a start gravity read. So today for the heck of it I made up a sugar water to 1100 added some nutrient and energizer and a little acid blend. I am going to let this get going real good for a week or so then add the koolade packs. The first batch has a real nice taste of peach but short on kick I think. I believe it would blend real well with skeeter mixes. I just sit it back in a gallon jug to lit it sit for later uses. Mike

I think I'm going to try and do a cider with a blue raspberry kool aid and see what I get. I'm sure I'll have to back sweeten though No big deal. If it works out I'll post here.

EDIT: Someone threw out all my yeast! *looking at mother in law who was at the house last week while I was out* And my 2 year old is sick so I can't run down to my LHBS tonight... Why me?

Next time MIL is over throw out her shoes, see if she gets the point.

I'll toss her e-reader, that'll do the trick. So I used a gallon of water, 2 cups of white table sugar, and some bread yeast last night and it's bubbling (slowly) today. I'm going to my LHBS today and picking up more good yeast and I'll be making my next batch of cider. I plan to add the Kool Aid on the second racking as I've heard if you add it before then the dye becomes suspended in the dead yeast and you love color.

I am making five gallons of this right now as a super cheap experiment. I am fermenting my sugar water without koolaid and then adding koolaid at the same time I stabilize and back sweeten. I want to make something like a wine cooler for the wine cooler drinking in laws when we go camping but I would need to carbonate it a bit and that's tricky with stabilizing and backsweeten. If I kegged it and after force carbing filed bottles with a beer gun from the keg would the koolaid damage or stain my equipment?

I know people use the unsweetened KoolAid packet (that makes 2 quarts) to flavor their sweetened Skeeter Pee. I have talked to people who use 1 packet per gallon and others who use 2 packets per gallon--and they all enjoy the flavor.

Your recipe for KoolAid wine makes me think about a Canadian product called "Wonder Wine", http://www.wonderwine.com/, and commonly found on eBay. It is a powdered mix that you reconstitute with water, add sugar (so much for dry, so much for sweet) and add the yeast.

I find it interesting all the experiments we are willing to do--all in the name of winemaking. When my husband and I ventured into an area grocery store the day after Christmas I walked out with just about every box of chocolate covered cherries they had (the ones with the white gooey filling). He told me he did not even know I liked those. Told him they are okay but I then told him I was making wine from them. His response was "Seriously?". I am pleased to report I started that wine in late April and it cleared just this week, has a natural residual sugar, and is absolutely delicious!!! See--the strange things we do.

Keep us posted.
I would love the recipe on that chocolate covered cherry wine. Also, how did it come out? Any update?

I've had to brew on the cheap when times get hard, and it makes sense in my head to use less sugar than you think would be necessary, cause I read like, when the yeast dies, they explode and it leaves a nasty flavor, so like, if they dont die, they flavor doesnt get tainted. Just my .02

I need to rack my cherry chocolate again it is still sitting in the carboy. It has been clear for quite a while. Mine is a year and a half old used 52 boxes of the candy. I only have an eight or so of an inch of sediment so maybe one more rack and a couple month wait.

My koolaid wine turned out about how I expected. Gross but drinkable, I carbed it in the keg then put it in a five gallon cooler with the drink spout on bottom and took it to a party. The ladies loved it.

Mine tastes awesome

Back