Kona's Longboard Island Lager recipe conversion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyx3

Reaction score
I found this all-grain recipe on Hopville, and tried to do a conversion to extract with specialty, using beersmith, but I'm a bit new to this.

I started by trying to just enter the ingredients into a new all-grain recipe profile in beersmith. I found a profile for the Gambrinus ESB Pale Malt, and used that.

But the beersmith estimated OG, IBU's and SRM are all way different than the ones in the recipe from hopville. So am I doing something wrong?

My ultimate goal is to convert this into an extract w/ specialty grains recipe, if possible, but I kinda need to figure out what's going on with the recipe first.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Here's the all-grain recipe, as entered into beersmith:

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Longboard Clone AllGrain
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.60 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
10 lbs 3.2 oz         ESB Pale Malt (Gambrinus) (4.0 SRM)      Grain         1        83.6 %        
1 lbs                 Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                Grain         3        8.2 %         
1 lbs                 Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         2        8.2 %         
1.00 oz               Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4        11.3 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil  Hop           5        1.9 IBUs      
0.75 oz               Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min             Hop           7        1.1 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278)  Yeast         8        -             
1.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        6        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 3.2 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 15.25 qt of water at 162.2 F        150.0 F       75 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 0.47 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more I look at beersmith, and think about it, the more I think the differences in predicted OG, IBU and such might be due to my lack of experience with all-grain brewing. Beersmith has multiple options for all-grain, relating to method and number of steps in mashing. As an extract brewer, I really haven't got a good knowledge of how all that works... The original recipe on hopville doesn't specify, so I don't know what information to transfer to my beersmith recipe...

bump! I just recently returned from Maui and my wife and I are addicted to this beer. I am an extract brewer and I would like to know if this conversion works or not?!?! This would be a great summer beer to get started on in a couple months!!!!

Hi folks,

I too was in search of a "Kona Longboard"-like extract recipe. Turns out my local home brew supply store has one that fit the bill.

http://www.hoptech.com/products/lager-a-like-ingredient-kit

This was super easy to make, and was actually my first attempt at brewing at the 5 gallon level. The beer turned out great, and is VERY kona. Not sure if hoptech ships ingredient kits, but if you are in the Dublin, Ca area you can drop in and pick up a kit.

I am now brewing a new batch of a different recipe, but I will definitely brew up another batch of the Kona style beer to keep in in the rotation.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back