Kompensatorzapfhahn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I finally got around to install the taps that I got from Germany and also write a short article about how they work: Kompensatorzapfhahn - German Brewing Techniques

They are German taps that allow for an adjustment of the pressure drop inside the faucet. B/c of this the draft system doesn't have to be balanced and I can also work with different serving pressures. In addition to that there is a function that allows dispensing a dense foam to top the beer with.

All in all pretty nifty and I'm surprised that they are rather hard to come by in the US. I had to buy mine in Germany and paid $55 for each.

Kai

EDIT: OOOPPPs Need to read better... Nice link.

Show me pictures...

or does it look like this. I've wanting one of these.

http://www.wecomatic.com/xt/popup_image.php?pID=33&imgID=0

33_0.JPG

What is the brand of your compensator beer tap? Might try to get a couple.
I have some buddies coming in from Germany in a few weeks.

Kompensatorzapfhahn_parts.jpg

This is what I got:

Alles für's Zapfen, Kühlen und Ausschenken von Bieren - Hellmann's Getränketechnik - Kompensatorzapfhahn chrom
(this is the longest shank option they have :( I wish it would have been 1/2 an inch longer. That would have made the installation easier)

Alles für's Zapfen, Kühlen und Ausschenken von Bieren - Hellmann's Getränketechnik - Tülle 7 mm gebogen

Alles für's Zapfen, Kühlen und Ausschenken von Bieren - Hellmann's Getränketechnik - Flügelmutter 5/8

Note that they don't take credit card. If your friends have a bank account in Germany they can transfer the money or you'll have to do COD which costs an extra fee.

You may also try other vendors. But as long as you get the tap and a barb/nut to connect a beer line you should not have problems installing it here in the US.

Kai

Might these stick with infrequent use? It appears to my untrained eye that these do not have the forward seal design. Not that it diminishes my desire for one.

Might these stick with infrequent use? It appears to my untrained eye that these do not have the forward seal design. Not that it diminishes my desire for one.

I'll find out ;). And yes, the design is not forward sealing. It's a simple piston that is pushed inward to open the flow.

Kai

I would like one of those Kompensatorzapfhahn faucets. It's too bad that no one here in the US sells them.

I love those things.

I bought a zapfhansaule on eBay when I was in Germany and it came with three Kompensatorzapfhans in brass. I replaced one of them with the chrome tap as I preferred it for dispensing dunklehefeweizen.

As I had no experience with kegging systems before I purchased it, I thought they were the norm.

I showed these to a friend he seems to think they need to have the Perlick forward seal first before he'd buy one.

Does Perlick make that much of a difference?

Not exactly.... similar tap from micromatic.... need allen wrenches to adjust. Don't know if thats a good thing or bad thing.

I saw that. I think having to use allen wrenches is annoying. I guess the idea is to keep the staff from messing up the setting. But if your staff does this when being told not to you have a problem w/ your staff.

Someone on the NB forum also found the newly arrived German taps. I should get some money or merchandise for promoting them ;)

Perlic vs. German? I don’t know what is better as I don’t have the former and am clearly biased in my opinion.

Kai

If you don't drink much, regular taps will get sticky (due to the exposed 'piston' head used for dispensing). The only HUGE benefit of forward sealing taps (most popular seeming to be perlicks) is this is enclosed, and does not get sticky even with long intervals between pulling a tap. I upgraded mine, and I'd say I drink fairly regularly; I still had sticking and am happy in my investment.

Kaiser - Do find that your taps stick with this set-up?

You also mentioned that you can serve beer at different pressures with this tap. Are these assumptions correct?
  • Does this mean you can serve a heffe at say 3.0 volumes and on the next keg after you can serve a pils on 2.5. I assume you adjust the regulator and the valve on the tap and that you could care less about the hose length.
  • Lets say you have a kegerator with a bitter and a heffe. The regulator is at 15psi and the temp is 44. Regulator is set higher for the heffe. You can serve both beers without foaming up but the bitter will be higher carbed than normal.
  • You can set your regulator for force carbing fast and not have to back it down to serve that beer or any others that are in the kegerator.
Just curious. I'm looking at putting together my first draft system. I'm just starting to understand the balancing thing; pressure, head rise, line and tap restrictions.

Thanks!

PS - Lets see a picture of a beer that was poured and has a good foamy head. I will love the foaming feature.

Do find that your taps stick with this set-up?

Yes they do stick after a few days of use. But I think they can easily be rinsed with a ball syringe through the spout. There is a little vent hole out that allows for the rinsing water to come out on top.

You also mentioned that you can serve beer at different pressures with this tap. Are these assumptions correct?

Yes and no. To serve beers on different pressures you need to have either 2 regulators or the two beers will have the same carbonation. But you don’t need to dedicate a tap to a more highly carbonated beer.

• Does this mean you can serve a heffe at say 3.0 volumes and on the next keg after you can serve a pils on 2.5. I assume you adjust the regulator and the valve on the tap and that you could care less about the hose length.

yes
  • Lets say you have a kegerator with a bitter and a heffe. The regulator is at 15psi and the temp is 44. Regulator is set higher for the heffe. You can serve both beers without foaming up but the bitter will be higher carbed than normal.

yes that is correct. Both would have the same carbonation
  • You can set your regulator for force carbing fast and not have to back it down to serve that beer or any others that are in the kegerator.

I wouldn’t do that. The beer would be overly carbonated. This tap does not adjust the carbonation. It adjusts how fast the beer flows and with that the pressure drop at the valve. The latter causes excessive foaming if it is too high.
Just curious. I'm looking at putting together my first draft system. I'm just starting to understand the balancing thing; pressure, head rise, line and tap restrictions.

While you are able to work with quite short lines when using this tap they will require you to restrict the flow of beer quite strongly. That means a very slow pour. If you extend the line a little more you can open the restrictor more w/o getting too much foam yet and a faster pour. But there is no need to be exact and with the length of the beer line.

PS – Let’s see a picture of a beer that was poured and has a good foamy head. I will love the foaming feature.

I’ll try to remember tonight.

Kai

While you are able to work with quite short lines when using this tap they will require you to restrict the flow of beer quite strongly. That means a very slow pour. If you extend the line a little more you can open the restrictor more w/o getting too much foam yet and a faster pour. But there is no need to be exact and with the length of the beer line.

Sounds like it might be a good tap choice in this application since temp control won't be the best. I've been thinking about making one of these after I get my draft system set-up.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - 2 tap mini-keg draft box complete

web.jpg

I really like this idea, and it seems it's cheaper to ship them from germany than to order them from micromatic.

I really like this idea, and it seems it's cheaper to ship them from germany than to order them from micromatic.

Cheaper than getting it from Northern Brewer too?

European Flow Control Faucet. Traditional European design with long spout for decreased foam. Adjustable flow control lever allows pouring of highly-carbonated and/or highly-pressurized beer with less foam.
#K281European Flow Control Faucet w/ stainless lever & nozzle
$70.99
EACH

Schlenkerla, you might like my draft system as well. I'll take pictures tonight.

It's 2 3gal cornies in an Igloo IceCube with the BierMuncher Paintball CO2 system.

I do like the Philtap system.

Any idea on where to get the components? A virus on my computer wiped out all my bookmarks.

Schlenkerla, you might like my draft system as well. I'll take pictures tonight.

It's 2 3gal cornies in an Igloo IceCube with the BierMuncher Paintball CO2 system.

I do like the Philtap system.

Any idea on where to get the components? A virus on my computer wiped out all my bookmarks.

Pictures? I look forward to seeing them!

What components? I have been looking at the draft sticky it has most of links one would need.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sticky-kegging-faqs-43347/

Cheaper than getting it from Northern Brewer too?

European Flow Control Faucet. Traditional European design with long spout for decreased foam. Adjustable flow control lever allows pouring of highly-carbonated and/or highly-pressurized beer with less foam.
#K281European Flow Control Faucet w/ stainless lever & nozzle
$70.99
EACH

Ah, nope, I thought the exchange rate was better nowadays.

Actually, the dollar sucks because of all the debt we are taking on here. It would cost you more overseas with low dollar valuation.

ya that's what I meant. It was like 58 euros which came out to $76, then shipping and you're way over NB price.

Well here they are. Two Kompensatorzapfhahn taps. I had some German associates bring them to me via their luggage. I will install them soon. Only bummer is that not all of my tap handles will screw onto the tap. Dam metric threading. I will now have to have an adaptor made.

The scarecrow is my pumpkin spice tap handle I recently bought on Ebay.

Circle C Brewer

IMG_1072.jpg

Back