kegerator compressor overheating - help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural320

Reaction score
so I get home last night and notice that my kegerator fridge (an old Kenmore Coldpoint that has to be from the 80s that bought on CL for my project) is making a clicking sound from the back, the compressor is HOT, and the unit isn't cooling.

frak.

I unplug it for a while to start looking online for how to troubleshoot this since I know nothing on this subject. then I got back to the fridge, the compressor had cooled down to only be warm, so I plug it in again, and it works fine for a few minutes...

then it's back to the same clicking and hot compressor. so I unplug it overnight, and tried it again this morning. it started right up and got to cooling. I let it run for about 40 minutes while I got ready for work, and it was still going normally when I had to leave, so I kept it plugged in. I figure that it will either be a-ok by the time I get home (seems unlikely to me), or my wife can unplug it around noon when she comes home from work if it is clicking again.

so anyone know about this stuff and can offer advice? the fridge still works under a certain condition, but something is causing it to overheat and stop cooling.

fwiw, I actually keep the coils clean (but I don't know what it looks like on the under/inside portion of the unit.

also, I got this fridge and a 20# CO2 tank as a combo for like $80, so I don't want to dump a lot of money into it. I did notice the "3 'n 1 hard start" devices that claim to give new life to old appliances, and these things are like $10 vs the $40-50+ for new OEM parts. so that is the conundrum. I don't want to throw good money at an old appliance, but if I can save a few bucks and keep this thing out of the landfill a little longer, I'd like that option vs simply buying a new fridge.

if you got all the way through that, I thank you and will get you a beer if you are ever around Warminster :mug:

Maybe the charge is low and it leaked some compressor oil. If it has service valves it is easy to vacuum and recharge. If not I'd trash it and get a new one. A lot of utilities will give you cash for your old appliances. Might be worth $25 to the power company.

Sounds like your compressor is thermally tripping. Time for a new one. If the compressor is getting hot and tripping on thermal overload there isn't much you can do that would be cost effective. Adding a hard start kit won't help.

You can try one thing before you kick it to the curb. Unplug it and look at compressor, there should be a little black box on the compressor. Pop that box off and make sure there are no loose connections. If they are screw down connections, tighten them down. More than likely they will be terminal connections, wiggle them. If they move around on the post they are loose. Remove them, gently squeeze them with needle nose pliers.

While you are in there, check ALL connections.

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter, google on how to check ac compressor windings. I'm willing to bet the internal windings are worn out.

dah! my electric company pays $35 for old fridges, but they have to be 10 cu ft minimum.

I didn't notice any oil leaking, but I will get down there and check the connections and hope for the best. thanks for the guidance!

Back