Kombucha help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
My wife is interested in brewing Kombucha for the first time.

she has the following ready to start a batch up this week:
scoby, black tea, sugar, water and a 1 gallon jug.

i brew beer so i have quite a bit of equipment as well.

my questions are:

1. are you suppose to let it completely ferment out, then add sugar to bottle? i have googled a few recipes and most say let it ferment anywhere from 5-30 days then just put it in bottles. i dont want any bottle bombs. and i'd like to use glass bottles and cap it.

2. should i keep my beer supplies away from kombucha? i dont want to create any infections.

3. does anyone have a good instructions/recipes we can follow?

Thanks!

1. I'm no expert, but I let it ferment for about 2 to 4 weeks depending on how long I've forgotten about it. I check to make sure my PH is below 4 before consuming.

2. Nothing is going to crawl out of kombucha and dive in your fermenter. That being said, I do ferment both in different parts of the house.

3. I use about 6-8 tea bags of whatever kind of tea sounds good to you. Boil 1 gallon of water, kill the heat and chuck in tea and steep for 4 minutes, throw in 1 cup of sugar, cool to room temp and pitch in the culture. I often toss in frozen blueberries or cherries for flavor. I thaw them out first.

I also put it into swing top bottles and add a dab of honey to carb.

Hi, my reply is in red. :)

My wife is interested in brewing Kombucha for the first time.

she has the following ready to start a batch up this week:
scoby, black tea, sugar, water and a 1 gallon jug.

i brew beer so i have quite a bit of equipment as well.

my questions are:

1. are you suppose to let it completely ferment out, then add sugar to bottle? i have googled a few recipes and most say let it ferment anywhere from 5-30 days then just put it in bottles. i dont want any bottle bombs. and i'd like to use glass bottles and cap it.
From what I know and what I've been doing, you have to add the sugar in the tea base and completely ferment it out. It takes around 7-14 days to get the right fizz in your kombucha tea.

2. should i keep my beer supplies away from kombucha? i dont want to create any infections.
Yes you should. Aside from infection, the Scoby might adapt the odor of the beer you're brewing.

3. does anyone have a good instructions/recipes we can follow?
I always recommend this site http://www.getkombucha.com/ because they have awesome customer service and they have lots of recipes and instructional videos.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back