Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshamilton

Reaction score
I ordered one of the AHS Anniversary Kolsch kits with the Wyeast Kolsch activator (on an Ice Pack). But it sat at a warehouse over the weekend, so it'll be about 5 days in transit - I'm concerned about the viability of the yeast.

I'm sure that there will be some good yeast - but one pack is already slightly underpitching if it's 100% viable. I don't have starter equipment (only brewed once so far). Can I make a 2L starrter in my primary bucket? I have access to a stirplate/bar that I can borrow (but no flasks). My thinking was to use some of the extract from the kit, make a "starter" and let it go a few days and then if all is well making the wort and add directly to the "starter" in my primary.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Use a 1.5L, 1/2 gallon, or similar sized jar to make your starter. You don't NEED to use a flask... I've made plenty of starters using those items so far with great results. I actually have a starter that's almost done, that I made in a 2L jar... I'll be saving the yeast from that for my next brew (was testing to see how much yeast I actually harvested in the previous washing)...

Just get some extra light DME, or one of the alternate items, and make the starter for the yeast.

If you're concerned about the yeast viability, contact AHS and find out what they'll do if the pack is NFG... I would recommend smacking it once it arrives, to see if the yeast is still viable (or viable enough)... If it puffs up nice and firm, then pitch it into your starter and go from there, If it doesn't puff up, then they should overnight you a replacement pack.

+1 to Golddiggie's response.

I use an old plastic apple juice bottle for my starter vessel, I think it's about 1.8L or something like that, so I can put a 1.5L starter in there and still have enough headspace to give it a good, firm swirl every time I walk by.

An ever lovely postal company 'lost' one of my pkgs a little while ago - it was over a month before i had it in my hands.... not sure if it was heated, frozen or both.

The yeast(s) were all fine....(white labs liquids)

Make a good starter, i suspect yours will be ok too.

Back