kolsch style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
6 lbs german pilsner
5 lbs vienna malt
.5 lbs carapiils
.5 lbs german crystal

1 oz hallertau whole hops 75 min
1 oz hallertau whole hops 45 min
1 ox hallertau whole hops 15 min

lookin for about 1.065 sg

about 1.022 for the final giving me 5.5 abv

5 srm and 31 ibu

gonna maybe have some trouble with a real long cold lager as the weather here is warm... no frozen tundra in cleveland this winter....

t1master said:
6 lbs german pilsner
5 lbs vienna malt
.5 lbs carapiils
.5 lbs german crystal

5 srm and 31 ibu

gonna maybe have some trouble with a real long cold lager as the weather here is warm... no frozen tundra in cleveland this winter....

If you want to stay true to the style, I'd lower the SG to 1.045-1.055 and shoot for an FG of 1.010-1.008. Koelsch style beers are lighter in body. And I'm not sure about the Vienna and Crystal either. They may give you more color and maltiness than you want in this style.

But if you don't care about style and are just looking for a tasty lighter beer, this recipe should work for you.

Kai

:mug:

i'll look into it!

edit:
the vienna malt supposedly has little color to it, about 4L, and i've seen some kolsch recipes with it as the main grist.

the gravity is too high though...

5 lb. German Pilsner
5 lb. American Vienna
.5 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils

the new grain bill

5 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 33 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.011

:mug:

Vienna is definitely very light in color.

You'd want a very light Crystal too (if you use any) if you're going for 5 SRM...it's tough to stay that light.

Looks fun! I want to make a Kolsh this summer sometime. Cheers :D

t1master said:
6 lbs german pilsner
5 lbs vienna malt
.5 lbs carapiils
.5 lbs german crystal

5 srm and 31 ibu

I've tried Kolsch with and without Vienna Malt, and I like it without... even though the style saids it should have Vienna in it. Just thought I throw my two cents in ;)

Mikey said:
Most Koelsch has some wheat in it too.

Most american interpretations of this style have.

Many German breweries stick to only barley for their Koelschs. This way they can claim conformance with the purity law of 1516.

And you are not looking for a malty character either. Something I would expect from the Vienna malt.

Kai

i would up the pilsner malt and completely drop the vienna. its rare for wheat to be in a true version, but it can be, and i would add some, 1-2 lb.s. make sure your yeast fully attenuates as it should be dry (i.e. big starter, good oxidization). make sure and lager it after its carbonated. i'd use tettnang hops but thats me, hallertau will be nice also.

King Kai said:
Many German breweries stick to only barley for their Koelschs. This way they can claim conformance with the purity law of 1516.

Explain weizenbier then.............

Mikey said:
Explain weizenbier then.............

Weizenbier (and ryebeer for that matter) does not comply with the purity law of 1516. But it complies with the currently valid purity law, which allows for other malts than barley to be used for top fermenting beers.

Kai

thanks for all the input guys! i'm glad i posted the initial recipe and got some good feedback, i'm not too familiar with the style, but know i liked it when i had a local brewed version.

i have a huge yeast cake of kolsh ale yeast that i'm gonna rack onto...

the kolsh-style ale i've had on tap is sorta cloudy, is that from the wheat or from the yeast?

i'll check into the tettnag... it's really a matter of what the hbs has in stock in flower hops, no more rabbit food in my beer ;)

t1master said:
the kolsh-style ale i've had on tap is sorta cloudy, is that from the wheat or from the yeast?

Make sure it's not chill haze, but Koelsh yeast is known to flocculate very poorly. So I'd say it's the yeast.

The wheat should only be a problem if it's starches weren't mashed properly (i.e. steeping only flaked wheat or malted wheat)

Kai

Back