Kolsch-style Kit for first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace1760

Reaction score
Okay, technically my fourth brew, but it's been a few years. I'm excited to brew in a couple of days, but after reading some older threads on here I'm concerned and have lots of questions.

The kit (Brewer's Best) came with a dry packet of Nottingham yeast, but popular opinion is that the liquid kolsch yeast is best for this? Should I get a smack-pack?

The instructions are for a 2.5 gal boil, but I was hoping to do a full boil (assuming I can get 6 gal boiling on my stove). Do I need to change anything in the recipe (i.e. less hops)?

I've also read that kolsch likes cooler fermentation temps (60 degrees), is this true? Due to space restrictions, I'm going to have to try and control fermentation temps with some ice bottles and such, and doubt I can get it that low. I hadn't planned on using secondary fermentation, but it seems like this style prefers it? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input and advice. I'm starting to think I should have just gone with a pale ale to start with...

I'm planning to do a Kolsch as well. I keep my fermentation bucket in a hot water heater room off the garage. The room is in the low 70's (it has an HVAC line). I picked up a large plastic bucket from Lowes and put my fermentation bucket in it. I filled the big bucket up to the beer line with cold water, then tossed in some ice bottle and put a heavy towel on top (out of the water). It felt cool to the touch - but on picking up a swimming pool thermometer - I found the temp was in the low 70's. So went a little heavier with the ice. I was able to keep it in the low to mid 60's using ice bottles and a swamp cooler kind of thing. Other folks have better setups, but that worked for me.

I picked up a huge Igloo cooler and stood it on end with my fermentation bucket inside. I've been changing out 2 liter frozen Coke bottles every other day or so. I wanted to try cold crashing an Ale I'm messing with. The cooler and ice bottles are keeping the Ale round 45 degrees. I'm sure I could get it cooler with more ice or paying a little more attention. If you decide to go the cooler route - just measure your bucket and carboy - you should be able to find a good size cooler (I tried Lowes, Home Depot with no luck - but got one at Walmart).

Way too many words. Stick your Kolsch in a swamp cooler and you should have no problem fermenting at 62'ish. Use a pool thermometer if you want - as it's hard to gauge 62 degrees by hand.

You might need a cooler to keep it close to 40 degrees after that. Or a fridge. Or a ...

we made the bb kolsch using the yeast that came with it. fermented @ approx 68-72 degrees. turned out great. was a favorite of some of our BMC drinkers.

going to have to figure out something for our summer brewing. bathtub in the guest room is where we've been fermenting, i've been monitoring the temp and it's looking like 70-75. just occurred to me that we haven't turned on the air conditioning yet so i guess i'll have to wait and see.

Kolsch is a surprisingly difficult style to get right. Extract kits can get you in the ballpark, it won't be a home run.

Kolsch yeast is a near-necessity, as are 60-62F temperatures.

Don't get me wrong, you'll make a very drinkable beer with extract and nottingham, it just won't be a traditional kolsch beer.

M_C

Back