Kolsch Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpool

Reaction score
I'm making a Kolsch next weekend with a grain bill almost entirely of Pilsner malt. I'm using WLP029 Kolsch yeast and will be making a 0.75L starter. I only have pale DME to make the wort for the starter. Should that be fine or is it recommended to use Pilsner DME?

Not sure if you treat your water but I would encourage you to think about some acid malt. I have great city water but never made a good kolsch until I added a few ounces of acid malt to the grain bill.....it made a huge difference

...assuming you're all grain....maybe doesn't apply to you if usin extract

Brew on!

Not sure if you treat your water but I would encourage you to think about some acid malt. I have great city water but never made a good kolsch until I added a few ounces of acid malt to the grain bill.....it made a huge difference

...assuming you're all grain....maybe doesn't apply to you if usin extract

Brew on!

I brew all grain with RO water so acid malt and mineral additions are a must for me. :mug:

Man, this starter turned out fantastic. Was actively fermenting my 5.5 gallon batch within 8 hours.

Back