Kolsch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepBrew

Reaction score
I made an extract Kolsch a few weeks back. It's been in bottles for 11 days. First taste presents a mild plastic taste. I think it's because the extract scorched slightly during the boil. Any ideas?

Check your chlorine levels from the tap water. Took me 5 batches to nail it down. I run through an RV filter now and I'm fine.

I'm going to start filtering with my next batch, thanks for the advice. I am drinking more of it tonight - the off taste is going away, it is starting to taste pretty good - it could use a couple more weeks to mature better. the White Labs WLP029 yeast I used was pretty slow compared to the other yeasts I've used. I wonder if what I tasted was unconverted priming sugar. That's my son's theory. The original off taste was more 'toasted marshmallow' than 'plastic'. At any rate, it will be consumed - nothing wasted with my home brew.

The off taste has matured into a clove taste. It is very drinkable now, even nice. I am going to make this again, but I will give it lots more time before drinking.

I've made 2 Kolsch's and am planning my 3rd in a couple of months. Using filtered tap or RO water from the grocery store is a good suggestion. In light ales or lagers there is less for the off flavors to hide from. As for the extract, try adding a significant portion of it during the last 15 minutes or so.

I found that with WY2565, the optimal ferment temp is around 58 degrees. About 2 degrees higher than the lowest suggested. Temp control is critical with Kolschs. I know the WLP029 ferments a little higher. Yes they are somewhat slow and you need to pitch a decent sized starter (slurry from decanted 3qt starter or so).

As its nearing completion I let it warm into the mid 60's for a couple of days to make sure it finishes and cleans up any diacetyl. Then I rack to carboy and drop to 35 degrees for 4 weeks. You might want to add gelatin or Isinglas to help the yeast floc out in secondary. The lagering period helps it finish really crisp.

Kosch yeast is supposed to be very clean. You should get some fruity esters, but no cloves. Like solbes said, if you have any problems in your process, they will show up in Kolsch's, Cream Ales, and Light American Lagers.

If I use Tap water, I fill up my pots the day before and let them sit overnight. It allows a large part of the chlorine to evaporate.

Also, I hear kolsch was traditionally made with soft water. Try using 2 gallons or so of pure distilled water to mix with your tap water. It might help!

I do like the idea of the leaving the pots out of water, takes a little planning but would solve the problem.

Back