kolsch clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
My first partial mash was a kolsch, which is also my first kolsch.

I used wyeast 2565 kolsch 'activator'. everything went well in primary, though I've never seen yeast retain a krausen 'skin' like this did but I'm told that's normal.

wyeast says this is a low flocculation yeast culture...but how clear or cloudy is kolsch normally?
I have it in secondary, and planned to bottle this batch rather than kegging, so I don't want a ton of sediment in the bottles (beyond the normal priming sugar sediment, if i can help it).

Should I give it the normal 2 week secondary, then prime and bottle? or go longer? or go shorter?

this was my most complex beer (partial mash, 3 kinds of hops, liquid yeast) so I want to do it as proper as I can.

I brew a LOT of Kolsch, and they will stay hazy longer than most beers. The trick to a Kolsch is cold conditioning. If you don't have access to fridge space for the secondary, then you should be doing your best to keep the temp down as low as you can. Wet tshirt contest with a fan will help. Let it sit longer and it will clear. you will still have PLENTY of yeast for bottling, so don't worry about that. After you bottle, give em a few weeks at room temp, then throw as many in the back of your fridge as you can and give em a few more weeks.

cool. i've got secondary temp about 64F, and I can probably nudge it down a few degrees.
i'll give it the full two weeks in secondary then bottle.

May just be the yeast. I brew Kolsch regularly with WLP029 and it always comes out brilliantly clear from primary:

DSC02218.jpg

malkore said:
I used wyeast 2565 kolsch 'activator'. everything went well in primary, though I've never seen yeast retain a krausen 'skin' like this did but I'm told that's normal.

My Kolsch was my 4th brew. It has had the most violent, explosive fermentation I've seen yet! Major krausen going on!

Mine is still cloudy and I'm half way through the keg. It tastes great, and my wife and I are the only ones drinking it so I try not to fret over it.

Left mine at 50-55 degrees for 4 weeks. It was really cloudy for a solid 2 weeks and then really started to clear beautifully after that. Probably my favorite brew so far.

The brew i made with 2565 Kolsch was wonderfully clear after just 21 days total in the fermenters (primary and then secondary). If you can't cold condition the secondary it should still be good. Just give it a few days in the fridge after you bottle/keg before drinking and any remaining cloudiness should settle out.

Back