kolesch extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes_brew

Reaction score
looking for a 3rd brew and had a kolesch the other day and loved it!
Is there a good easy extract with specialty grains (partial mash?) receipe that anyone has?

drinking my 1st batch of brown ale, not bad kinda crap shoot. some bottles are great and smooth, others are bitter after taste.

but ye who brew it must drink it, LOL:mug:

mikes_brew said:
looking for a 3rd brew and had a kolesch the other day and loved it!
Is there a good easy extract with specialty grains (partial mash?) receipe that anyone has?

drinking my 1st batch of brown ale, not bad kinda crap shoot. some bottles are great and smooth, others are bitter after taste.

but ye who brew it must drink it, LOL:mug:

how long has it been in the bottle?
what type of water are you using?
are you keeping your carboy under a box or some other way out of the light?

I only ask last two questions because i had the same problem with my beer. it took 8-12 weeks in a bottle before it tasted right. I had the same problem as you. It was a crap shoot, sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes good for the first half of the bottle, then bad for the second half. But i started brewing with water i filtered through my brita and covering my carboys. it didn't occur to me to keep my beer away from light BEFORE i bottled it. once i did that, i no longer have to leave it for 8-12 weeks after i bottle it before i drink it. sometimes it a little to bitter for me but i am trying to adjust my recipes to account for that. Its just my taste now that i'm adjusting.

just a quick note. not everyone runs into problems with the water they use. the general rule is if you drink water from the tap you brew with and you like it, then you can brew with it

I use the tap water and I cover it in my basement 68F all the time. it has only been in the bottle about 3 weeks, so I hope it will get better with age, but I will probably have drank all of it by 8 weeks:mug:

still looking for a koelsch, anybody?

It is very easy to do a kolsch from extract (but it uses LME). I have one but it is a partial mash.

A partial mash can be beneficial since you can add some wheat and munich malt. But, a partial mash is different from steeping. I am not sure if steeping grains would be all that helpful for a kolsch.

Do a google search and I am sure you can find a good extract recipe or maybe someone here has one.

One suggestion, use a good extra light DME. A DME from pilsner malt would be best, Briess makes one, AHS sells it as "Extra Light DME."

Back