Knee Deep Simtra and Hoparillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrich

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried to clone these monsters?

http://kneedeepbrewing.com/year-round-beers/

And if so, do you have a recipe? I haven' found much information on the grain bill for each nor have I even attempted to take this into BeerSmith and play around with it yet. I guess I'm hoping and praying someone out there has come up with something.

Any and all feedback would be amazing!! These are my two favorite beers at the moment (especially Hoparillo). I honestly think they blow everything out of the water. I am really into big beers right now though.

Stone R10
Hoparillo
Simtra

Heaven!!

I agree... I was up in Auburn a few weeks ago and had the pleasure of finally making it to the new tasting room/brewery.. Previous to this fine establishment they dispensed their awesome beer from under an Easy-Up.. I'm exaggerating of course but only slightly... ;-)

They had a mocha stout on tap as well as the others you listed... It is great stuff but not for the finacial faint of heart.. Growler fills of the higher ABV stuff was pushing $25... :-0

Subscribed!

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/knee-deep-simtra-triple-ipa-clone-homebrew-recipe

I would add though that based on my own brewing with WLP001, it doesn't really produce signs of fermentation until around 68F as opposed to the recommended 65F in the recipe. White labs says an idea temp for the strain is 68F to 73F. Not saying it won't ferment but it may take longer in primary to get it to Final Gravity and longer for the yeast to get under way consuming sugar.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/[title-raw]yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast

I'll try this one soon and post the results back here for those still interested. Looks like a fun one.

I've seen that Crafted Pours recipe before. It seemed pretty basic. Maybe that's all it is though. Did you ever brew it Beer-Dammit???

I've tried to contact Knee Deep for a clone but no luck. :mad:

You know, I haven't actually brewed that one yet. I meant to, but got caught up with a Heady Topper clone and a Scottish wee heavy. The heady topper clone was awesome but I will have to wait a bunch of months to try the wee heavy...:-(

So I brewed the Crafted Pours recipe today with a buddy. I tasted the sample and like you said <rickyrich> it was pretty basic (But still nice...). I'll let you know how it turns out; OG=1.080. Pitched 4 vials (A bit of overkill by a few million cells) of White Labs WLP001 after cooling to 68 degrees F. Will dry hop as well with 1oz Simcoe / 1oz Citra pellets. Should come in around 9% or 10% ABV.

So I brewed the Crafted Pours recipe today with a buddy. I tasted the sample and like you said <rickyrich> it was pretty basic (But still nice...). I'll let you know how it turns out; OG=1.080. Pitched 4 vials (A bit of overkill by a few million cells) of White Labs WLP001 after cooling to 68 degrees F. Will dry hop as well with 1oz Simcoe / 1oz Citra pellets. Should come in around 9% or 10% ABV.

How did this turn out? Did you get a chance to do a side by side?

Not tried it yet - will bottle it up in the next few days after sitting in the secondary for all this time. I hope it turns out ok, it's been in there a while (Maybe too long). As usual, got caught up in all my other brews. I've done (All clone recipes) a Pliney the younger with a cream ale out of the second runnings. The big guy came out at a 13.5% ABV. You can't even taste the ABV but you can feel it down in your chest a minute or two after, nice and warm. Have to be careful with that guy... Next one I did was a Piraat Belgian ale. Tried the wee heavy and it's turning out nice but definitely needs to age a bit in order to get it balanced out. Also did a Saison ale with WLP-670. That one had a nice white web on the top of it in the secondary (I hope) from the Brett in it. Looked at some pictures online and that seems to be normal. First time I've used it. Yet another brew that needs some time to age; will probably bottle that one instead of keg it.

Sorry, a bit off topic but felt the need to justify why I've not tasted the Simtra...:)

Back