Kmeta rhino farts - Yeast starter at 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globell

Reaction score
ok - I understand why cider can have rhino farts - temp, low nutrients, yeast selection, yeast health/numbers/stress.

I normally do not add kmeta to start a ferment but I'm building 4 yeast starters of WLF 775 and they are 11.00 a shot so I chose to use a sanitized must as it's 55 gallons of juice. 25ppm s02.

The starter I made with no kmeta has zero farts.
The three starters I made with kmeta smell to high heaven. All the same apples, and all started the same way in the same spot.

Is it just the sulfur leaving solution?

I did add some nutrient as well.

Kmeta *is* sulfur. Yeast hates it and kicks it out as fast as they can. Don't use any, and no rhino farts. I don't use any, haven't for years. If you're concerned about wild beasts taking over, heat pasteurize at 160 F for 2-3 minutes. That's what I do. And ultimately, it's nothing to be concerned about anyway since sulfur will always dissipate with age. You shouldn't taste it at all in a well conditioned beverage.

Back