Kitchen Aid Grain Mill attatchment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyinsonoma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first mishap as many probably who ever get to meet me I'm a bit of an eager person to say the least. Always excited to jump into something with both feet, which of course... well... I learn as I make mistakes, it works for me, haha.

Anyways, I was brewing and realized that i forgot to mill one of the grains so I wanted to make sure it never happened again so I was looking into milling options. This occurred to me during my amazon search that i could use the motor on the kitchen aid.

Has anyone used this? I was thinking of making a small stack of books under it to raise it to the level I needed to fill into a bucket or something and power that baby on and not have to worry about a drill which seemed tiresome for 20# of grain. The other mills were pretty expensive. This attatchment was 94.00 I think.

Will this work for good grain milling?

Spend the extra few $$ and buy a Barley Crusher or wait to find one used for about the same as the Kitchen Aid attachment which would probably not work very well. As I recall it is for milling to flour, from fine to coarse, not crushing.

We have the Kitchen aid K5A, and have used it, and several of the attachments, for over 35 years. However, We don't own the grain milling attachment, nor would I buy it for nearly $100. If I insisted on a mill designed for the purpose of milling malt, I'd buy a Barley Crusher (or one of its equivalents, but I think it's the best deal). However- the fact is that I'm too cheap for that. I bought a Corona-type mill for $23 delivered from Discount Tommy on eBay, mounted it in a 5 gal. bucket (so everything stays inside), and run it with an old Craftsman 1/2" drill. I don't care what anyone says about the Corona-type mills, mine does a fine job, and I hit all my numbers while brewing, which is all I ask.

Back