kit suggestion for making 5g of stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
Hi Im looking to make a creamy, fizzy stout. Im still at the beginners stage so Im getting principles and basic understanding from using pre-hopped liquid extract kits. I have used the 'thomas coopers' selection before and their ipa is especially good for a kit recipe but i haven't heard much about their stout and for me, not only would this be my first stout but its also a new drink to me that i know little about, ive mostly been inspired by making it for my stout-loving friend to encourage him into the fold! so basically im looking for advice and people's experiences with extract stout kits. recommendations/link would be fantastic too
thanks

You can check out Austin Homebrew Supply's Beer Recipe section. I've made their imperial stout and it was great, same for the cannonball stout. I've got the alien dog stout in secondary right now.

Good luck and happy brewing.

EDIT: Here's a link to their stout section.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_42_159

Their kits are very good, simple instructions, and free shipping on all kits.

Read my thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/my-first-attempt-stout-438063/

This beer has turned out absolutely fantastic. It was super easy - took less than 20 minutes to put together from start to finish.

very interesting, especially using molasses -didn't even consider that.

I've checked out the link provided rhumbline too, most likely be doing an imperial.

thank you to both

how was the carbonation? im hoping to make a stout thats fizzier than usual, so do i just add more carbonation sugar?

I boiled 40g table sugar in 500ml water, then let it cool.

I drained the fermenter from the spigot into my 20l plastic water tank (also has a spigot), then added the sugar water and shook her up for a minute or so.

I bottled from the spigot using a funnel directly into 1 litre PET bottles using the squeeze technique to raise the liquid almost all the way to the cap. Some of them carbonated in 1 day, some took 2 days, and the others are filling out after 3 days.

I have already drank some and it has carbonation but doesn't hold a head just yet for more than half a minute or so. They just need a few weeks time in the bottles.

2cans breiss traditional dark 5oz roasted barley 5oz chocolate 4oz flaked oats 1oz EKG 1oz Target 8oz lactose and 1084 Irish ale

I boiled 40g table sugar in 500ml water, then let it cool.

I drained the fermenter from the spigot into my 20l plastic water tank (also has a spigot), then added the sugar water and shook her up for a minute or so.

I bottled from the spigot using a funnel directly into 1 litre PET bottles using the squeeze technique to raise the liquid almost all the way to the cap. Some of them carbonated in 1 day, some took 2 days, and the others are filling out after 3 days.

I have already drank some and it has carbonation but doesn't hold a head just yet for more than half a minute or so. They just need a few weeks time in the bottles.

Shaking the finished beer isn't a good thing to do. It can get oxidized that way. You're lucky if it didn't. Start racking the beer into the bottling bucket,then pour the priming solution slowly into the surface of the swirling column of beer. When done racking,sanitize a spoon or paddle to gently stir it in.
And using a funnel directly from the spigot to the bottle can cause the same thing. Get some 3/8" tubing & a bottling wand to fill the bottles from the bottom up so as not to oxygenate the beer.
And 3 weeks to carbonate the average gravity beer @ 70F is the norm. They also need time to condition.
Here's a page with some extract stout kits to choose from;
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/recipe-kits/dark-ales.html
This is my first foray into stouts myself. I've got their PM Traditional Stout kit about ready to rack onto some bourbon soaked oak chips. It's a stout version of a colonial brew callled "Whiskely".

I'm doing my second batch of Cooper's Irish Stout. The first batch had rave reviews from everyone (including a mate who only drinks Guinness.)

I boiled 40g table sugar in 500ml water, then let it cool...

500 ml is a huge amount of water for priming purposes in a 20 l batch (1/20th). You're diluting your beer!

100 ml would be plenty. Sugar dissolves well in very little water.

Uniondr is spot on with his advice. Do not introduce air into your beer.

how was the carbonation? im hoping to make a stout thats fizzier than usual, so do i just add more carbonation sugar?

I can't say either of them was "fizzy" although they both had good heads. I'm going to defer to one of the more experienced brewers for advice on how to amp up the carbonation. I think there's a formula regarding how much priming sugar to add.

I'm drinking a sample of the alien dog stout that I pulled for an SG reading, it's going to be a great beer.

Back