American IPA kingmatt's crowd pleaser IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale 05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
A very bright, tropical IPA with surprising complex flavor given it is a single hop.
This beer won 2nd place in the IPA category at the Buzz Off 20 competition and won 1st place at CJ's Doghouse's IPA competition for Philly Beer Week this year.

Recipe:

9.5# US 2-Row
1# White Wheat
.75# Munich

1oz Mosiac (11.6%) FWH 60min
1oz Mosaic (11.6%) 10min
1oz Mosaic (11.6%) 5min
1oz Mosaic (11.6%) 0min
2oz Mosaic (11.6%) dryhop (5days)

20140608_1936431.jpg

This beer won 2nd place in the IPA category at the Buzz Off 20 competition and won 1st place at CJ's Doghouse's IPA competition for Philly Beer Week this year.

Recipe:

9.5# US 2-Row
1# White Wheat
.75# Munich

1oz Mosiac (11.6%) FWH 60min
1oz Mosaic (11.6%) 10min
1oz Mosaic (11.6%) 5min
1oz Mosaic (11.6%) 0min
2oz Mosaic (11.6%) dryhop (5days)

20140608_1936431.jpg

Funny. :) nice job!! I won third for my all citra ipa at hopfest in kc MO this year. I see a theme here. Keep up the GOOD brew. I have been meaning to brew an ipa with mosaic. Seems simple enough... what did you mash at? And what yeast at what temp?

Sorry I forgot to put that in... I batch sparge at 154 for 60 min. Primary fermentation was 10 days at 66. I actually used some Conan yeast that I harvested from a can of Heady in my last batch but you will get similar results from 05 fermented at a low temp.

I'm panning a mosaic IPA that us almost identical to this and am glad this came out so well.
I assume this is a 5 gallon batch?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yes, this was a 5 gallon batch.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how complex the hop flavor comes out with only using Mosaic hops. Good luck!

Hey Matt. Do you have this going into Malt Madness? My beer from Buzz Off is long gone, but I do have a new IIPA going into the mix.

Hey Matt. Do you have this going into Malt Madness? My beer from Buzz Off is long gone, but I do have a new IIPA going into the mix.

No, this beer is long gone also and I have been meaning to brew it again once I have a little more free time.

I entered a Pale, a Rye IPA and a Saison into Malt Madness. Good luck to us both!!

Good luck to us both!!
I also have an APA entered. Had to bottle some early (before the rest was dry hopped) to get it in on time. We'll both be needing that luck. It's another tough category!

Is your APA another Mosaic beer like this IPA?

I also have an APA entered. Had to bottle some early (before the rest was dry hopped) to get it in on time. We'll both be needing that luck. It's another tough category!

Is your APA another Mosaic beer like this IPA?

I used some Mosaic in the one I entered too but it is not a single hop like this one.

This looks like a great beer to try for my first AG batch. I was looking into the Munich you listed, but beer smith shows four different varieties. Does it make that big a difference? I see a caramunich Belgium, Munich from Germany and then a Munich 10L and 20L.

Thanks

This looks like a great beer to try for my first AG batch. I was looking into the Munich you listed, but beer smith shows four different varieties. Does it make that big a difference? I see a caramunich Belgium, Munich from Germany and then a Munich 10L and 20L.

Thanks

The recipe I brewed used standard German Munich but you could subsitute the 10L without a huge difference. I would stay away from the caramunich as it is basically a crystal malt around 30-40L I believe.

Good luck on your first AG batch and let me know how it turns out!

Primary fermentation is 66f, what should the secondary fermentation temp be? The same or colder?

I attempted to brew this last night for my first all grain batch. My OG came out lower, and then I started reading a lot more today and learned what I did wrong and where I can improve. I need a mash tun, mostly.

I guess this will be a 3% ABV IPA :mug:

I also wired up my mini fridge with a temperature controlled switch so this is my first precisely controlled fermentation. It is bubblin' like crazy right now.

I attempted to brew this last night for my first all grain batch. My OG came out lower, and then I started reading a lot more today and learned what I did wrong and where I can improve. I need a mash tun, mostly.

I guess this will be a 3% ABV IPA :mug:

I also wired up my mini fridge with a temperature controlled switch so this is my first precisely controlled fermentation. It is bubblin' like crazy right now.

Well session ipas seem to be all the rage these days! :mug:

Hope you like it and post back with the results!!

Alright, I had this fermenting at 66f for 9 days. Last night I moved it to a secondary and raised the temp to 72f. After 4 days I will lower the temp to 34f for two days before bottling. I tasted a little last night - wow! I never had half-fermented beer taste so good.

I ended up with 7 full 12oz bottles.

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.016
ABV: 3.41%

I guess it is an IPA for children :mug:

This was my first AG and I mashed in a stove top stock pot.

Now I am about to brew my second AG batch. I will be using my new mash tun, and I hope to get better results. Even though the ABV is low, the beer tastes quite wonderful!

I opened a bottle tonight after 2 weeks, carbonation is good. It tastes good but it has a slight rotten fruit flavor. My mash temp was totally out of control, but my fermentation temp was stable. Also the alcohol is low so maybe if I mashed it right and had better efficiency it would be higher alcohol and balance out the fruit taste. It tastes good! I will see how it tastes in a few more weeks.

Thanks for the recipe kingmatt

beeeer.jpg

Looks good, nice and clear! Have you ever used mosaic before? It's definitely a distinct flavor, I get blueberry mixed with stone fruit...maybe that is what you are tasting? Never got a 'rotten fruit' flavor though...

Looks good, nice and clear! Have you ever used mosaic before? It's definitely a distinct flavor, I get blueberry mixed with stone fruit...maybe that is what you are tasting? Never got a 'rotten fruit' flavor though...

I have not used mosaic before. I suppose it could be blueberry or stone fruit, without any of the sweetness. The flavor I am talking about falls dead on the tongue, it could be sour/bitter but it is very mild, just an aftertaste. It is not the dominant flavor for sure.

I might try this again now that I have my mash tun and such. It will be interesting to compare the results.

Brewed 10/12/14. Transferred to secondary 11/1/14 (after 3 weeks) with 2.0 oz dry hops. Kegged 11/8/2014 (7 days in secondary). Tasted today (11/10/14) and it's very, very good. Bright, crisp grapefruit taste, perfect aroma. Great hop flavor without the bitterness. Can't wait to see what aging a few more weeks will bring.

Brewed 10/12/14. Transferred to secondary 11/1/14 (after 3 weeks) with 2.0 oz dry hops. Kegged 11/8/2014 (7 days in secondary). Tasted today (11/10/14) and it's very, very good. Bright, crisp grapefruit taste, perfect aroma. Great hop flavor without the bitterness. Can't wait to see what aging a few more weeks will bring.

Great, glad you like it!

Okay, it has now been kegged for a month now and it's almost gone. It has cleared beautifully and still has great aroma. Last night was the monthly meeting of my local homebrew club and I was able to get several members to try a taste and provide feedback. ALL feedback was positive, very positive. One member , who is a very accomplished award winning brewer, said the beer was not really bitter enough to be classified as a IPA and thought it was more of a APA style. I understand this recipe was intended to be a very sessionable beer and not a strong IPA. Another member gave similar feedback and said if I were to beef up the malt and bittering hops that this would be an excellent IPA. Can someone recommend how I could modify this recipe to achieve a higher gravity and more IBU’s, all while keeping the nice balance this beer already has?

Okay, it has now been kegged for a month now and it's almost gone. It has cleared beautifully and still has great aroma. Last night was the monthly meeting of my local homebrew club and I was able to get several members to try a taste and provide feedback. ALL feedback was positive, very positive. One member , who is a very accomplished award winning brewer, said the beer was not really bitter enough to be classified as a IPA and thought it was more of a APA style. I understand this recipe was intended to be a very sessionable beer and not a strong IPA. Another member gave similar feedback and said if I were to beef up the malt and bittering hops that this would be an excellent IPA. Can someone recommend how I could modify this recipe to achieve a higher gravity and more IBU’s, all while keeping the nice balance this beer already has?

Hmm, well I guess it all comes down to personal preference as this is definitely an "IPA" and I won a few awards entering it into the IPA category.

Do you feel it needs to be maltier and more bitter? If so you could always play around with the grain bill to up the munich and decrease the wheat or cut the wheat completely and add some victory or something. As far as increasing the IBUs, you could change the FWH addition to a normal 60 min addition. Or you could add a 45 or 30 min addition. You could change the bitter hop completely and only use Mosaic as a late addition. The possiblities are endless!

I tweaked this recipe until I got it just right for my tastes so you will probably have to do the same until you hit your sweet spot...that's the beauty of homebrewing :mug:

Hmm, well I guess it all comes down to personal preference as this is definitely an "IPA" and I won a few awards entering it into the IPA category.

Do you feel it needs to be maltier and more bitter? If so you could always play around with the grain bill to up the munich and decrease the wheat or cut the wheat completely and add some victory or something. As far as increasing the IBUs, you could change the FWH addition to a normal 60 min addition. Or you could add a 45 or 30 min addition. You could change the bitter hop completely and only use Mosaic as a late addition. The possiblities are endless!

I tweaked this recipe until I got it just right for my tastes so you will probably have to do the same until you hit your sweet spot...that's the beauty of homebrewing :mug:

Yeah forget those dudes, make the beer how you like it!

Okay, it has now been kegged for a month now and it's almost gone. It has cleared beautifully and still has great aroma.
The curse of a great IPA! A month is getting past prime. The clearing means that the hop haze that made it what it was is no longer there.

Back