Dipa help do i have enough hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
Just looking for some help ive mafe ipas but nothing this big shooting for atleas 8% abv 5gal batch.
Grain bill is sorted out, eff about 71 on avg.
13# 2row. Rahr
2# vienna
1# flacked barley
1# sugar end of boil to help dry out
Wyeast 1272 American ale II

I have bittering down 1oz 14% ctz with .5 oz of old northern brewer at 9.5

Mash 150 60min batch sparge most likely. Will iodine test water is ro from a waterstore in town.

I have 6 oz centennial 4 oz amarilo 2 oz citra 2oz cascade. I have 4 oz of citra total bit dont want to overpower cent or amirilo.
Im a big fan of dry hoping during ferm like the new England ipas.
Any help would be great ill be in town before my brew so i can get more hops if need.
I was thinking
60min 1oz ctz .5 nbrew
15 min irish moss and kdap
10min 1 oz cent
5min 1oz cascade 1oz citra
0 min 1 oz centennial amarillo cascade
170* wpl 30min 2oz cent 1oz amarillo 1oz citra

Dryhop when kruasen starts to fall day 3 of ferm 2oz cent 2 oz amarillo

If my math is right this beer should ne about 1.082 og any help thoughts criticism is wanted and appreciated.

look into BU:GU ratios. a good DIPA should be somewhere around 1:1. If you're looking for approx 8% you should be aiming around 80 IBUs. What do your IBU's look like with all those additions (too lazy to do the math)?

what FG are you aiming for? with an OG of 1.082 i suspect you're going to be closer to the 9%+ range, and should be adjusting the IBUs accordingly as well.

Looks like 75 ibu before u add all the whorlpool hops im not quite sure how much they can add. Im not worried about bitterness i know im close there with what ever wrlpool adds probly be at least 90 ibu. Do you think i have enough flavor/aroma hops? Fg would be alittle dryer im hoping for 1.010 1.012

I'd be surprised if you get that much more IBUs out of the whirlpool. But yeah, the combo of hops looks nice. If looking for big aroma throw in another OZ at dryhop after fermentation. They say your "flavour" comes with middle of boil additions which you don't have much of. Your 5 and 10 mins won't do much for flavour, and your flameout and whirlpool will make a much higher aroma, so I'd push the 5/10 mins back to the 20-30min range. I've played with the whole "hop additions at 60 min, rest at flameout/whirlpool" and you do get big aroma, but I found they were a little "empty/hollow" without the middle additions, if that makes any sense.

I think it's fine. You'll get prob 50 Ibu from the ctz buttering addition then some more flavor from the flameout at those temps then just flavor and aroma at the 170 whirlpool additions. The one thing I'd change is the citra wil completely dominate the cascade at 5 min so I'd move the cascade to the 10 min and just use the citra at 5 min. What you really need is a second dry hop if your gonna do what you have during end of fermentation as some of those aromas will drop out as the yeast cleans up while finishing primary fermentation. So I'd add another even 2-3oz dry hop on day 7-10 if you can get the hops you can order some and they'd be at your door in time to add that second addition.

Another oz each of centennial and amarilo? Should i add an oz of citra to i wqnt it there but not dominant.

Another oz each of centennial and amarilo? Should i add an oz of citra to i wqnt it there but not dominant.

Ok so I think you're asking me in regard to my response. So here's what I'd do and again it's just me but it's how I like to approach hopping when you have a dominant high aa hop like citra mixed in with lower aa hops.

10 min- 1oz ea cent and cascade
5min- 1oz citra
Flameout and whirlpool keep what u have
Dryhop- #1 go with what u have 2oz cent and Amarillo now on day 7-10 add another 2-3oz of I'd do either Amarillo or citra up to you.

Well the rain has pushed me back again...... storm got her 12 hrs early. Maby ill beable to brew sunday or monday.

Latest posts

Back