kindle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2. I suspected before I bought it that it would be just an expensive toy. And it is. But the GF likes using it to read her books. Which I don't mind, but it seems like kind of a waste for an expensive toy with so much computing power, not that my activities are any more justified (angry birds). So I'd like to get her a kindle, but she reads at bedtime. I considered the kindle fire because of the backlighting, but it goes back to the expensive toy thing. I know the regular e-readers are pretty decent, but not backlit.

I've seen the covers that have a book light built into it, but was told that they suck. Does anyone have any suggestions for respectable covers with decent lighting capabilities? Or should I just get the fire?

PS. This is supposed to be a surprise for her, so don't let her find out. ;)

I have a Nook (not a Kindle) and I LOVE it. It's not backlit, but I bought this book light: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1935009362/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I really am glad it's not backlit, as it's easy to read in bright sunlight and any light at all. The backlit ones would be harder on your eyes. Plus the Nook stays charged for like 2 months without a light, and that book light uses 1 AAA battery a month (I read in bed for at least two hours every single night!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Kindle Fire and a standard Kindle (keyboard 3G). My opinion, if your GF is only reading then a regular Kindle is fantastic. Lightweight and super easy to DL books. The Fire is great as well but it does so much more that I find myself surfing/ gaming instead of reading. The screen isn't anti-glare which can be fixed with a cover and even on the lowest light setting I found it too bright to read in a dark room... but a quick app DL fixed that. I love my Fire but if it ever sh!ts the bed I will probably just get a Kindle Touch for reading.

I think Nook is about to come out with a version that has a light built in. Its not back lit, but has a small LED light that shines down from the top to light up the screen.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/noo...ght-barnes-noble/1108046469?ean=9781400501717
That said, I love my Nook. The screen looks more like a real book and is easier on my eyes. I carry it everywhere, so Its kind of nice not to have to worry about dropping or losing an expensive iPad.

As long as we are talking covers, I love mine from Oberon Designs. True american craftsmanship (made in Santa Rosa, home to Russian River brewery!). This is the design I have, but there are many, many more.

9566.jpg

I got SWMBO a Kindle Fire for Christmas and she really likes it. Likes the ability to play music, movies, and read. I like it for Angry Birds. Her mother has a Kindle something or other (has buttons) and likes it because all she does with it is read. Also, the not-Fire versions have a papery colored screen which is nicer to read on than the computer-screen-like Fire/ iPads. Depends on what you're after. Really, when I bought one the cost for a not-Fire was like $150, and the Fire is $200. For $50 we got the ability to do way more than just read. Kyle

Got my wife the kindle fire for her birthday and she loves it. Reading, Facebook, Words With Friends, it has it all and for only $200.

Wow. Already a lot of good info.

Yooper, did you get that light on a recommendation or did you just buy one at random? A few people I work with have a kindle but only one has a light and it's in the cover. He would personally recommend against that one but I guess I hadn't considered a clip on light.

I would really rather not get the fire for several reasons, but I hadn't considered the ability to read in direct sunlight. Thats another one to add to the list. She often reads in the car on road trips and it usually becomes difficult at some point because of that.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I love how I can ask a non-brewing related question and get a lot of legitimate answers. Usually more info than I expect.:mug:

I have an ipad2 and my gf has a kindle, if u learn how to use the iPad correctly then it becomes a well worth piece of equipment (not just an expensive toy). My gf reads all the time, even in bed at night with her kindle, she managers fine with low lighting, even a book touch that clips to the side of the kindle (which can be purchased from any book shop). If you do get her a kindle that get one with the built in 3G so she is able to download books any time, any where. I got my girlfriend the one with the keyboard on it, she loves it.

I have an ipad2 and my gf has a kindle, if u learn how to use the iPad correctly then it becomes a well worth piece of equipment (not just an expensive toy). My gf reads all the time, even in bed at night with her kindle, she managers fine with low lighting, even a book touch that clips to the side of the kindle (which can be purchased from any book shop). If you do get her a kindle that get one with the built in 3G so she is able to download books any time, any where. I got my girlfriend the one with the keyboard on it, she loves it.

Don't get me wrong, I am well aware of the capabilities of the iPad. I just don't use it nearly to its full extent or anywhere near that. For what I use it for, its mostly just a toy aside from checking my account balances, ordering various crap from the Internet, surfing the web and whatnot. As for my GF, she pretty much uses it to read. And that's about it. Before I even got it, she swore she was a book snob and would never use anything but good old paper to read. That obviously has changed and I would like to surprise her with a dedicated ereader.

Haha, my girlfriend said exactly the same about the "paperback". I recommend the kindle mate

My wife and I each have a Kindle fire for $100 less than the cost of a single WiFi iPad. We like them. They are basically toys but not as capable as the iPad. As long as all your GF reads are Kindle books or magazines, it should work great for her and there's always Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon instant on it too.

I actually have a mini review and tips and tricks on my bog at:
http://www.ashdr.com/blog/2012/3/9/kindle-fire.html

Wow. Already a lot of good info.

Yooper, did you get that light on a recommendation or did you just buy one at random? A few people I work with have a kindle but only one has a light and it's in the cover. He would personally recommend against that one but I guess I hadn't considered a clip on light.

I got it randomly, sort of! I have already used the "Itty Bitty Book light" and a couple of other book lights over the years, and found that I wanted something with ONE AAA battery that had a "neck" I could move. The Nook had a new light coming out, through the USB port I believe, for like $39 or something ridiculous like that. I found the light I linked to for about $6 or so, and gave it a try. It is great! I have it with me right now, for reading at the cottage.

I have thought about a Nook "something", or a Kindle Fire, but I actually find the pages of the nook more like a book and I"m able in read in bright sunlight to a dark room with that light, and so I'm more than happy with the regular Nook Touch. It was about $99.

If I was going to check email or something, I'd go with the Fire or the Nook "something" (name totally escapes me right now). But I have a netbook for that and my Nook is just for reading.

My library participates with both Nook and Kindle now, but when I bought my Nook, the Kindle didn't have that agreement so that is why I chose the Nook. I get two library books per week or so (limit is four at a time) as I'm a voracious reader, plus all of the free books that I want on BarnesandNoble.com, and other free book sites.

I would say if that if surfing the internet or email is almost as important as reading books, to stay with the Ipad. But if you want a "book only" device, a Nook or Kindle is great.

Thanks Yoop. This actually helps tremendously. I like being able to save money through the internet, but I hate how you don't really know what you're buying until it's too late. I like the idea of spending as little as possible, but I also believe you get what you pay for. So when I see $6 book lights next to the $20 ones, I expect that the cheap ones are just that. So to know that some of the cheap ones are anything but, makes it easier to buy one. And she's worse than me so I know that she'll approve!

I picked up the Kindle 4 at best buy tonight and can't wait for her to get home for her surprise. I've been working a rediculous amount of hours at work lately and have been pretty grumpy and needy. She's handled it all very well and has been really understanding, so I really think she deserves this. Thanks to everyone for your input. It was a last minute decision to do this for her, and you all have definitely rose to the occasion on this one. Thanks again.

Back