Kimchi!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved 3 qts of kimchi from the fermenter to jars.
I didn't even what it was a year ago, now I have some almost daily with lunch.
This batch was fermented for six days, a bit longer than usual since the house has been colder lately.
Smells wonderfully powerful.
IMG_0932.JPG

Looks great!
I just made my first sauerkraut, because I had leftover cabbage and carrots from St Patrick's Day. I really like it. I might ferment an onion today.

Homemade sauerkraut is great, nothing like the store-bought stuff.
I use it to put out the fire after eating the kimchi!

Never tried fermenting an onion. Is there enough bacteria on them to self-ferment, or do you add cabbage and sauerkraut juice?

Just moved 3 qts of kimchi from the fermenter to jars.
I didn't even what it was a year ago, now I have some almost daily with lunch.
This batch was fermented for six days, a bit longer than usual since the house has been colder lately.
Smells wonderfully powerful.View attachment 765288

I see you like them spicey. Do you use korean pepper flakes, or what?

I hope mine come out well. My wife doesn't like onions, but she enjoyed pickled ones on a sandwich recently.

I've made these a few times - they are super delish (my wife won't eat though, also doesn't like onions). They aren't fermented, but they are marinated in red wine vinegar overnight, so essentially pickled. They're awesome. Don't forget to leave the skin on the onion to hold them together during the marinating.

https://keviniscooking.com/roasted-onions/
1649421563950.png

Off topic but if you like onions I have done this a few times. Bring to boil equal amounts of vinegar and stout. Add salt sugar and pepper corns and pour in a jar onto sliced onions. Leave to cool, refrigerata and eat. Don't last long.

I would say the Korean chilli flakes are essential for kimchi. Not used the paste as it's more expensive but have used paprika which wasn't as good.

Those jars look good and spicy! Thanks for the reminder, I'm due to make a batch. I usually ferment 3-4 days, put it in pint jars and then let them finish off slowly in the fridge. By the time I get to the last jar its getting good and sour. My family room runs 68-72 depending on the season.

Hey can you tell me how the kimchi actually taste?

My friends group tried it and they were bragging about it, unluckily that day I would not able to join them due to my family get-together.
I heard kimchi is spicy but some also said that it wasn't to spicy, I am little bit sensitive to spicy food. But the way everyone mentions the kimchi taste I want to try it too. But I'm scared cat.

Can you please tell me is it too spicy, or we can make less spicy one in home itself, does non-spicy or less spicy kimchi taste good?

Also, can we eat it with rice?

Kimchi is an acquired taste. I love it, but my step father(which enjoys all kinds of unique foods) hates it. It is sour and sort of rotten smelling(it is basically a slow controlled rotting of cabbage- LOL). In the store you can by mild or spicy. If you make it yourself you can make it as hot as you like. Do you like saurkraut? Its kind of a spicy version of saurkraut with garlic, onion, ginger etc. You can eat it with whatever you like. I eat it plain mostly, but add it to eggs and fried rice regularly.

I wish I could test a traditional kimchi once, to check if my own is "to spec" or something totally different. The only thing I can tell about my own is - you gotta eat it fast, before the hotness kicks in, after that you're done (milk or cheese does help). Very probably I overdo it on the gochugaru stuff always...but it smells so good....

Yes I enjoy saurkraut! According to what you said I guess will enjoy kimchi. I will try it soon, I will surely add it to fried rice and eggs because I love eggs!

Kimchi is an acquired taste. ... Its kind of a spicy version of saurkraut with garlic, onion, ginger etc. You can eat it with whatever you like. I eat it plain mostly, but add it to eggs and fried rice regularly.
I agree! I am not a great fan of the texture that Napa cabbage acquires once fermented, so I recently made a batch of "bowdlerized" kimchi using red radishes (couldn't find daikon), ginger, white onion, mixed peppers (serrano, habanero, thai), green cabbage, garlic, and salt. The result was deemed to smell like kimchi by my friend whose Korean mother would regularly make LARGE batches of the real deal. And I enjoyed it greatly with rice for lunch.

Back