Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Could a Mod add another poll answer? I would like to add Yes, and I want to again. I would also like to change the Yes once and never will again to- Yes and never will again. Can this be done olllllo who has no Clan, lol kidding? Well... not about the poll stuff, lol.

i would love to get one, very proud of my scot heritage and would love to get one in my family colors and pattern. I just recently got some ink done in with my heritage in mind, its not specific to anything, a bit of a mix of new and old styles on my back.

tat.jpg

My soon to be father-n-law is very into family tree/heritage also scot, and has taught me a great deal about some of the stuff, he has a kilt but sadly its not quite big enough for me, he has had it for MANY years i guess. Guess ill have to keep looking and researching.

Nice ink, I am getting my ankle Pike tattoo from college over-inked with a tribal looking thistle in solid black. Love the story of the thistle. A group of Scots were sleeping when a hoard of Vikings came to raid. One of the Norsemen stepped on a sharp thistle flower and let out a cry in the dark to alert the Scots. Ever-since, being the nations national flower.

Nice ink. My first ink was actaully a Sgian Dubh on my right calf:
tat003.jpg

Stickers on a former vehicle:
stickers01.jpg

I'm personally a big fan of the UK's. Not the price, but the style. I started with the UKs and have 5 of them now (all but the Survivor, Leather, Tux). I've only every owned one Stillwater kilt but have sold it. Thing with Stillwater is the are set sizes, not custom sewn. They are just a tad to short for my liking.

And on the tartan subject again...they have organizational tartans now as well as clans. Marines, Firefighter, Law Efforcement...also heritage tartans, American, German, etc. And then just "fashion" tartans. The brown one I'm wearing watching EvilTOJ brew isn't a clan associated tartan.

Oh, Kilted Brewer. I forgot to say how much I admire your home brewed kilt. I bought The art of Kilt Making and love it. I might try a solid and see if I can get it down. I am just not a fan of the way the utilikilts look with the snap looking things on the front. I would like a solid more like a traditional with hidden pockets for a cell phone. I hate sticking my cell in the sporran. Also, it would be nice to not have to wear a sporran if you didn't want too. I had never worn a belt before with one and I like that look very much. Amerikilts seem cheap enough for a beginner wanting non-tartan, but usakilts seem really expensive for what you get to me. Makes it hard to tell never having seen one in person, but I want the Frugal Corner 16oz (even if it really isn't) as my minimum thickness standard. In USA do you wear the casual with the Velcro or do you wear the semi-traditional? Semi seems a little steep to me so I hope you can tell me about them.

I keep telling the SWMBO I am going to get a kilt someday. She doesn't seem too fond of the idea.....

I've actually got a casual, semi-casual and a 16oz from USA. The xmarksthescot forum I linked earlier actually had a tartan made for forum members. USA Kilts was the one the took it from fabric to kilt (for me, others either did it themselves or had other kilt makers do it).

The thing to remember about USA Kilts is that even the casual kilts are custom sewn, and pleated by hand. They aren't generic sized kilts, not one-size fits all. They are made to your measurements. Casual on up to the Premier. The quality of Rocky and Kelly's (owners) work is first class.

As an aside...the author of The Art of Kiltmaking is a very active member of xmarksthescot and is always helping folks out and answering questions.

Oh yeah, I also have 2 Amerikilts. More traditional with the apron, etc. Thicker fabric similar to UKs and they have a handy matching sporran that clips on.

I have heard great things about USA kilts, and that does make a lot of difference now in the price. I wish you could see my Frugal 16 oz to compare with USA's semi-traditional. That would be the one I would like to start with from USA if it is close to the same weight. I spoke with Rocky and he happily answered my questions, but couldn't comment on his vs. Frugal's so I could get that information to base my next kilt off of. I do like his customer service based on x-markers, and I will say that Frugal needs to step up even though they have made everything right with me. Rocky said that there is hardly ever a poly kilt that is 16oz, so I am betting Frugal's 16oz is more like 13oz, but... that is all I have to go on. I would really be interested in dealing with them on a semi, and their prices on wool are great.

Alright, and now for some music and other kilted stuff :)
[youtube]bG2mogB_Ink[/youtube]

Oh yeah, how bout some Bonn Scott???
[youtube]H1iR2Wi3u5o&feature=related[/youtube]

Wanna know what scares a Polynesian more than a evil face,a tongue, and some righteous haka?
[youtube]iQtkFag2pMg[/youtube]

Having actually seen the All Blacks perform the haka, I can say there are few things more terrifying for an opposing rugby side to see- even Scots lifting their kilts! :rockin:

Now I really dig this kilt:

SWK-SK-WM.jpg

And this one:

SWK-NS5.jpg

Nice ink, I am getting my ankle Pike tattoo from college over-inked with a tribal looking thistle in solid black. Love the story of the thistle. A group of Scots were sleeping when a hoard of Vikings came to raid. One of the Norsemen stepped on a sharp thistle flower and let out a cry in the dark to alert the Scots. Ever-since, being the nations national flower.

I would love to get a thistle, i have been trying to plan on how to incorporate a thistle into my next tat, but i haven't come up with a real good plan yet. Seems like once you get on tat all you want is another one, and what better thing to get than a symbol of your heritage.

Nice tats guys, i like all those, and where can i get one of those Scotland stickers.....that is awesome....

OMG! Kilts and Celtic tattoos. I don't think I can take much more of this. There had better be a cold one in the fridge when I get home.

I've been wanting a tat of the clan crest. Boyfriend isn't thrilled about women with tattoos. I'll work on it.

I feel too detailed isn't good for a tat. Having had a detailed one for 15 years and it not being detailed anymore, I am going solid next time. :(. I'm going to post my tat idea in a bit and see what you guys think.

I'm surprised by the number of kilt sites that don't offer a Douglas tartan. It wouldn't be Scotland without the Douglas clan. So what if he paid the informant by melting the gold and pouring it down his throat, doesn't mean he was all bad.:cross:

OMG! Kilts and Celtic tattoos. I don't think I can take much more of this. There had better be a cold one in the fridge when I get home.

I've been wanting a tat of the clan crest. Boyfriend isn't thrilled about women with tattoos. I'll work on it.

Tattoos on women, done in the right places are HOT!!!

I own one kilt. I wear it all the time despite the fact that it doesn't fit quite right anymore. I need to buy a smaller kilt or 10.

man, you this thread is really making me want to get a kilt sooner than later.

Only problem I see is a couple hundred bones could buy an awful lot of brew gear or supplies...

Gotta have the priorities you know. Plaid or beer? Hmmmmm.

Guess I can always get a plaid skirt at the thrift store. ;)

or brew without pants! :ban:

I wore a kilt for halloween one year. Bo Peep and I were taking turns flashing each other, that was a great party. :rockin:

I've been known to once or twice. I <3 my great kilt:

l_622deea9a1671d21f2cc3d50a8df074a.jpg

And of course my Utilikilt workman's, which I'm modeling here with a sweater:

l_31bdbb9e87ebeee4198536682cacd142.jpg

I know it's long - it's at the seamstress' (read: mother-in-law) right now being shortened 1.5". And just for the record:

Utilikilts Website said:
Utilikilts are designed to be UTILITY garments, not traditional relics.. The waistband should sit on your hips where your pants normally ride. The hem should rest between the bottom and center of the kneecap.

:D

-Joe

Yay!!! more pictures. OK now everyone has to show theirs. I know there are ten of us right now that own them, so.... Start posting for the ladies :D I thought this woman last night at the liquor store was going to turn cougar on me the way she was looking. I am soooo going to have to wear it out more and get many many more. :)

Chose the top option on the poll, but 'occasionally' isn't really accurate. Been wearing kilts full-time for about 6 years now, and nobody at my current job has ever seen me in anything else. I still own a pair of old jeans I wear occasionally as needed (painting on a ladder comes to mind), but it's very much the exception. Brewing, definitely kilted.

At work, I usually wear Utilikilts - have about 6 of those. They come in neutral tones, so after the initial shock people adjust to them really easily. I've also got a couple tartans I wear for special occasions, including a new one from NeoKilt in MacDonald Lord of the Isles blue tartan. That one's poly-v rather than wool so I can wear it when I throw at the Highland Games, but looks and moves pretty much the same.

To those who recommend wearing them out to a bar - yes. Do this. I've loaned out kilts to friends who thought I was exaggerating, and have trouble getting them back.

MadDwarf said:
Chose the top option on the poll, but 'occasionally' isn't really accurate. Been wearing kilts full-time for about 6 years now, and nobody at my current job has ever seen me in anything else. I still own a pair of old jeans I wear occasionally as needed (painting on a ladder comes to mind), but it's very much the exception. Brewing, definitely kilted.
Awesome man, I would love to be able to wear them just anywhere. It isn't worth the comments I would receive from bubbas here though so I pick and choose. When I move to a bigger city and especially a college town I will go full bore when I want. I mean who's more fun to pick on, me in a kilt or the chick with purple hair and every square inch of her tattooed and pierced??? Not saying anything is wrong with that, just a definite detour from me. I'm gonna check out neokilt and I am still trying to get ahold of Frugal for my newest one. I have to get custom because 24" length is just way too long for me.:ban:

A skirt is a skirt, no matter how much other crap you attach to it to try to look manly.

You're absolutely right. A kilt, by definition, is a type of skirt. A pleated skirt worn by men. It's kind of like a stout is a type of beer. All stouts are beers, but not all beers are stouts. So if you were attempting to offend you've utterly failed.

:mug: :tank:

You're absolutely right. A kilt, by definition, is a type of skirt. A pleated skirt worn by men. It's kind of like a stout is a type of beer. All stouts are beers, but not all beers are stouts. So if you were attempting to offend you've utterly failed.

:mug: :tank:

Hey, I'm just sayin. If you're cool with being a man in a skirt, I say go for it.
You might look prettier in a dress, though.

A skirt is a skirt, no matter how much other crap you attach to it to try to look manly.

Speaking as a woman, men in kilts are HOT!
I have never had one moment of doubt about the virility of the men I know who wear kilts. You are kidding yourself if you think attachments are what make kilts manly, however, when you add a sporran and good legs and that kilt wearer can get laid anywhere.

Yeah, that's one of the fairly common responses I hear from guys when I'm at a bar. About 80% of guys have a "Dude, a kilt! That's awesome!" reaction, 18% have some skirt/dress remark, and 2% want to pick a fight. 99.9% of the girls have reactions ranging from "positive" to "really, really positive" :)

I try to give a funny lighthearted response to the skirt comments if I have time, but more often I'm forced to respond "Yes, you're right, it's a skirt. Now please tell your girlfriend to stop grabbing my butt and licking her lips before my wife knocks her ass out."

Hey, I'm just sayin. If you're cool with being a man in a skirt, I say go for it.
You might look prettier in a dress, though.

Well, I won't respond with anger because it doesn't anger me. :mug:I ask you for your explanation of why you feel it is "whatever" you think it is. I ask you one question that I beg you specifically to answer honestly.

"schneemann, which sexes anatomy is better suited for which garment; women-pants or skirts, and men-pants or skirts?"

Answer honestly, and I think you will find why throughout history and even today some of the rest of the world still wears comfortable clothes unless they need to do something specifically. (disclaimer- yes I am talking about your nuts, and no I am not bragging about mine, or any other man that decides to wear a kilt)

Whether or not it is socially excepted in a region, doesn't make up for the fact that it makes anatomical sense. That is makes way more sense than to the groin inseam pants do.

Latest posts

Back