Killer Neutral Yeast Screening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK7007

Reaction score
Has anybody tested WLP644's susceptibility to viral killer yeast toxins? I'm interested in using a wine killer strain in beer and want to pair it with something that can pick up the slack when the wine guy has trouble with wort sugars, but don't really want the character of any of the Brett species that are commercially available. (Though Brett C is probably a good option flavor-wise if Trois doesn't work out) Being a wild yeast, Trois seemed like a decent candidate for being killer neutral (or active, I've never used it in mixed culture fermentation) with flavor characteristics that I am interested in - but then again I guess most ale strains would be too since nobody at yeast labs seems to bother screening for killer neutral strains. (seriously, the wine people get reference guides for this stuff but we don't?)

Danstar yeast points out that there are killer ale yeasts as well, it's just that nobody bothers screening to find out. I personally blame pasteur (j/k) for introducing single culture fermentation and making everyone stop looking into mixed fermentation dynamics. :p

Looking into screening, I don't think looking at zones of clearance on agar is sufficient (papers make it sound sound like agar screening misses some when you make the jump to wine must - no papers discuss wort) I guess trials in wort are probably the only way to be sure, but seemed like effort, and posting a question online isn't any effort.

So, anyone look into anything like this before? 644 specifically? If you've screened for killer neutral strains, did you do it in wort or plates?

Back