Kill yeast during bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makubex

Reaction score
After sampling Founder's Mango Magnifico I decided that I absolutely needed to try my hand at a mango beer. After poking through a lot of threads on the topic, it seems like the majority of people trying their hand at mango additions don't get much flavor, and I'm convinced it's because the yeast plow through all of the sugar from the mango addition, leaving little behind to be tasted.

Founder's wouldn't have this issue with Mango Magnifico since they're able to force carb and leave all of the fruit sugars intact.

I've been trying to think of ways to keep my mango flavor intact, I remembered the pasteurization technique that some people have been using on cider and was thinking that something similar may work here.

My idea is to brew the base beer as normal and let it sit in primary, on top of some US-05, for two weeks. From there, I'd rack the beer onto a couple pounds of pureed mangoes and let it sit in secondary for 1-2 days, and on the second or third day add priming sugar and bottle. Then over the course of the next few days, I'd open one "test bottle" to see the carb level. Once all bottles have reached the optimal levels, let them sit in a bath of 170 degree water for 15 minutes each to kill off the yeast and stop fermentation.

Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't work, or why this might be a bad idea? I'm thinking of giving this a try this weekend, but want to run the idea by some people first before I end up with a closet full of glass grenades.

Any reason the sweetness and the mango flavor need to come from the same place? Any true mango flavor is going to have to come from the mangoes themselves, but sweet is sweet is sweet. If it were me, I'd just mash high and throw in lots of crystal, to make sure there's plenty of residual sweetness from unfermentable sugars, then just let the yeast have at the fructose in the mangoes and carbonate like any other beer.

I've pasteurized ciders after they carbonated with good results. Granted I did not carbonate them very much, but it certainly is possible to pasteurize after bottle carbonating. I don't know how far you can reasonably let bottles carbonate and safely pasteurize in a water bath, due to the increased pressure.

After sampling Founder's Mango Magnifico I decided that I absolutely needed to try my hand at a mango beer. After poking through a lot of threads on the topic, it seems like the majority of people trying their hand at mango additions don't get much flavor, and I'm convinced it's because the yeast plow through all of the sugar from the mango addition, leaving little behind to be tasted.

Founder's wouldn't have this issue with Mango Magnifico since they're able to force carb and leave all of the fruit sugars intact.

I've been trying to think of ways to keep my mango flavor intact, I remembered the pasteurization technique that some people have been using on cider and was thinking that something similar may work here.

My idea is to brew the base beer as normal and let it sit in primary, on top of some US-05, for two weeks. From there, I'd rack the beer onto a couple pounds of pureed mangoes and let it sit in secondary for 1-2 days, and on the second or third day add priming sugar and bottle. Then over the course of the next few days, I'd open one "test bottle" to see the carb level. Once all bottles have reached the optimal levels, let them sit in a bath of 170 degree water for 15 minutes each to kill off the yeast and stop fermentation.

Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't work, or why this might be a bad idea? I'm thinking of giving this a try this weekend, but want to run the idea by some people first before I end up with a closet full of glass grenades.

I've use a similar process to make sweeter Brett fermented cider and it worked great. Even won a prize at the fair. The only problem that I've heard/read about is that the beer won't age as well or be as shelf stable. So as long as you don't plan on drinking them over a few years it should turn out great.

Back