Kettle sour with Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces and S.cerevisiae addition times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlumps

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to do my first kettle sour and get the basics cooling and adding Lactobacillus to sour the beer for 24 to 48 hours.

The recipe I am using calls for the addition of Brettanomyces to, this recipe is for non kettle souring so i am trying to adapt it.

The Lactobacillus that I am buying says the strain is always used in conjunction with S.cerevisiae, so i am planning on getting some of that.

The notes for the Brettanomyces says is required 3 to 6 months ageing to get the best out of it, now I was going to add this with Lactobacillus and sour then boil to kill off yeast and add some hops. If I do that then the Brettanomyces will be killed off and won't improve with age.

So my question is when should I add then Brettanomyces and the S.cerevisiae, given that I am going to boil post sour, should I just sour then add them to the standard Yeast.

For reference

Yeast - Wyeast ™ 3944 Belgian White Beer Yeast
Lactobacillus - Wyeast ™ 5335 Lactobacillus Yeast
Brettanomyces - Wyeast ™ 5526 Brettanomyces lambicus Yeast
S.cerevisiae - Vintners Harvest ( Mangrove Jacks ) Yeast - MA33 - Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

Edit -

I also asked this on reddit and got some answers (https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin...le_sour_with_lactobacillus_brettanomyces_and/)

The confusion I had has been cleared up and I am going to experiment with brett and Belgian White Beer yeast for fermentation

Last edited:
Sounds like you might need more guidance. Maybe run your planned process by us so we can help ;)

I would recommend starting with a kettle sour as opposed to a mixed fermentation (using Brett) since you are just starting off.

Cheers

After taking all the advice I have been given the current plan is.

standard mash but last 10 mins add strawberry pulp

Boil mash for 15 mins - last 10 add strawberry pulp

Cool to 34 degrees c, add Lactobacillus

fill air gap with c02

maintain at 30ish degrees for 48 to 72 hours

Once soured boil for 60 mins + add hops

cool to 30 degrees

Add standard brewing yeasts

Take 1/2 and put in 1 fermentor and add 1/2 the remaining strawberries cut

Take other 1/2 + strawberries to 2nd fermentor and add Brettanomyces and leave that to age for 6 months.

When the first one is ready keg and server.

May have to move the ages batched into a secondary carboy.

Nice, that all seems pretty reasonable.

I don't see a need to add strawberries to the mash... Why bother?
I think the later you add fruit, the more flavor you get from it. This means after primary for the Sacc beer and within the last 3 months for the Brett beer. You can freeze the strawberries until then if needed.

Fruit added to carboy needs to be sanitized... Usually done with Campden tablets (sulfites).

Brett can take over a year to reach a stable gravity; make sure it's finished if you plan to bottle any.

I recommend you pre-acidify your wort before souring, to pH 4.0-4.5. This improves head retention and reduces risk of infection.

Cheers

Persoanlly I would pick a different fruit. From everything i’ve read strawberry is one of the most difficult fruits to work with in beer. Not only is it hard to actually get strawberry character but you will also most likely end up with some serious off flavors caused by the strawberries as well.

Latest posts

Back