Kettle Sour question regarding L. plantarum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So about 6 months ago I gave kettle souring my 1st go. Ended up definitely getting a wild yeast takeover as my gravity after pitching goodbelly dropped in 72hrs from 1.046 to 1.022. Not normal for just lacto. Ended up being decent and just rode with it for a somewhat mediocre sour. I settled on the fact I messed up by 1) not pre-acidifying the wort to 4.5 or less and 2) did the laying seran wrap on top of wort to try to prevent O2 as much as possible. Deciding to try again now. My main question revolves around something I noticed from the first attempt and not sure if that’s just what lacto does or of that was the yeast contributing. About maybe 16 hours into the souring of the wort you could hear some major like sizzling going on. Wasn’t a strong bubbling sound. Literally sounded like steak sizzling on a grill, but not real loud. Just if you put your ear maybe within a foot or less you could hear it well. Is that normal? I should also add I never achieved any kind of Krausen with the previous attempt either. Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated.

The noise was the yeast fermentation making CO2.

Pre-boil, pre-acidify, & try to keep out microbes :)

O2 isn't really a problem.

Good luck!

That’s what i figured, was just a bit thrown off by the lack of krausen and it didn’t sound like any of the other ferments I’ve had. Definitely pre-acidifying this go around.

Back