Kettle sour pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaves

Reaction score
Made a kettle sour that I boiled for 90 minutes. Used yogurt to sour to a bout 3.73 before boil. Used a kveik yeast in it. FG was 1.008. Looked clean when bottled. Been in the bottle for 6 days, popped one open yesterday (didn’t notice anything on top after being in the fridge). This morning we put labels on them (vacation with some friends so they know what they’re drinking) and noticed some sort of pellicle, looked kinda flakey and would ride the walls of my bottles When tilted but disappeared when shaken. Looking for insight, like I said I did pasteurize with a 90 minute boil. I did add frozen fruit to it in the last week of primary and squeezed out the juices with sanitized hands prior to bottling.

I had pellicle in a mead once and noticed the exact thing. Would disappear but couple days later it would start re appearing. It didn't tastes funny so I added sulfite and sorbate. Mead has been in the fridge since January and it hasn't came back .

It certainly sounds like a pellicle.

The source of your contamination is likely the fruit and/or your hands.

Frozen fruit contains wild microbes.
Only clean, non-porous surfaces can be sanitized with a chemical sanitizer, so it's difficult or impossible to fully sanitize your hands (including under the fingernails, etc).

It's also possible it was contaminated at some other point.

Just be sure to monitor for possible over-carbonation.

Back