Kettle size thoughts for eBIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Considering typical eBIAB efficiencies and typical system losses expected throughout all processes, what kettle size (in units of Gallons, Quarts, or Liters) should I consider whereby to be capable of making no-sparge and (preferably also) no-squeeze batches of 1.060 OG and make sufficient beer to completely fill two 5 Gallon Corny Kegs when all is said and done to that juncture? I'm currently looking at Kettles in sizes 15 gal., 18.5 gal., and 20 gal. Need assistance as to which to buy. Of course they tend to get more expensive with size, and I'm trying to limit overall expenses....

A 15 gallon kettle is definitely too small for that.
Although an 18.5 gallon kettle will work, a 20 gallon leaves you some extra headroom or allowing higher gravity beers.
More so if a 20 gallon offers additional benefits, such as construction.

Use a BIAB calculator:
https://biabcalculator.com/
Or a "wet finger" estimate:
2 x 5 gallons = 10 gallons in kegs
+ 2 x 0.5 gallon lost to trub in fermenter = 11 gallons in fermenter
+ 1 gallon kettle trub = 12 gallons post boil
+ 1.5 gallons boil off = 13.5 gallons preboil
+ 3 gallons wet grain volume (24 lbs of dry grain) = 16.5 gallons in mash

I am not quite sure how it scales, but I use a 10 gallon kettle to target 5.5 gals in my fermenter. It is pretty full for a 1.060 beer and maxes out around a 1.070 beer. I target a 75% efficiency with 1 hour boil with 1 gal of boil off. 7 gals of liquid pre-boil. For my needs, a 12 gal kettle would be about perfect. I expect for your needs at 20 gal kettle would be the low end I would start looking at.

Here is a pic for a batch in my 10 gal kettle with 12 lbs 8 oz of grain (it was a 1.073 Dubbel but had 1 lb 4 oz of sugar added to the boil).

2 scene'20190428 08.47.05_Moment.jpg

There's nothing particularly wrong with Anvil kettles but they do use weldless accessories and you'd have to plug the thermometer hole to keep from ripping the bag. $259

Up from there would be a custom Spike 20 with two low welded ports: Spike 20gal V4 Kettle with 2 Horizontal NPT Couplers
That's $305 but you'd also need to buy the accessories separately.

There's nothing particularly wrong with Anvil kettles but they do use weldless accessories and you'd have to plug the thermometer hole to keep from ripping the bag. $259

Up from there would be a custom Spike 20 with two low welded ports: Spike 20gal V4 Kettle with 2 Horizontal NPT Couplers
That's $305 but you'd also need to buy the accessories separately.

If it was your money on the line, which 18.5 gallon or 20 gallon would you personally go with? Does your company offer the service of adding additional tappings/holes to the kettles you offer (at an added cost)?

I’d buy a Spike if it were me. I wouldn’t do anything weldless. I also wouldn’t go smaller than a 20. I have a 25g Mega Pot I welded myself. I have no limitations with it. If I buy anything kettle wise again, it will be Spike.

I have done a 10 gallon batch in my 15 gallon spike kettle without a problem. I deleted the recipe as it wasn’t something I wanted to reproduce but it was between the 5-6% ABV range. Your limited on the grain bill size unless you incorporated some type of sparge step, which can be extremely simple. However, I regret not getting the 20 gallon size so I didn’t have to even worry about that. You won’t regret a 20.

I'd go 20G...Spike would be my first choice. I do not like weldless fittings. I have a custom Spike in the works right now for my 2V K-RIMS rig that should be here next week or so.

I really like Brewbuilt too. They're excellent quality, but they don't have a port for the heating element. I've been using one with a 240v induction burner for about 18 months (and with a gas burner for 5 years before that). The Brewbuilts are excellent quality and the notched lid is perfect for my hydra immersion chiller.

Being retired, on a fixed income, and highly price conscious, I'm tempted by the thought of drilling out a $114 Bayou Classic 1082, 82-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer pot I see on amazon.com. No fitment openings or volume scale. And only 1 mm thick SS, or 18 gauge. Type of SS is unknown. Admittedly this would make for weldless fittings and a sacrifice in wall thickness.

82 quarts = 77.6 Liters = 20.5 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXKJJ8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Being retired, on a fixed income, and highly price conscious, I'm tempted by the thought of drilling out a $114 Bayou Classic 1082, 82-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer pot I see on amazon.com. No fitment openings or volume scale. And only 1 mm thick SS, or 18 gauge. Type of SS is unknown. Admittedly this would make for weldless fittings and a sacrifice in wall thickness.

82 quarts = 77.6 Liters = 20.5 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXKJJ8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I can't remember who it is, but someone on here will do custom welding on SS pots... I was thinking the same thing about my 44-quart Bayou Classic pot.

I've got a 64 qt Bayou Classic pot and I silver soldered my fittings instead of weldless fittings. I got most everything from Bobby at BrewHardware.com. It's going on 2 years with no leaks or cracks.

Latest posts

Back