Kettle size...bigger always better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
So I'm definitely getting a 15 gal kettle for my AG setup. Initially I'll be doing 5 gal batches only, but the possibility exists for doing bigger batches in the future. Should I go ahead and spring for the 20 gal boil kettle? Is there any disadvantage to using a big ass kettle for 5 gal batches? I won't be lifting it much...it'll have a 1/2" coupler welded on for ball valve and bazooka tube.

edit: I'm thinking a huge kettle will double as gear storage between batches...just trying to justify here.

Bigger is always better. Just ask Yooper! :D

I love my 20 gallon kettle, even with the poor customer service from Blichmann. I make 10 and 15 gallon batches with it.

You didn't mention what kettles you are interested but I think its safe to assume you'll be wanting blichmann bling:cool:, you will have an issue with the thermometer on the kettle when doing small batches of 5 gallons in a 20 gallon kettle because the thermostem is at the 8.25 gallon mark but you would have the same issue with the 15 gallon kettle, there are quick and easy ways to move the level of the thermostem(cutting involved:(), other than that you should have no real issues other than having to pony up the $30 for an extra 5 gallons worth of space:mug:

You didn't mention what kettles you are interested but I think its safe to assume you'll be wanting blichmann bling:cool:, you will have an issue with the thermometer on the kettle when doing small batches of 5 gallons in a 20 gallon kettle because the thermostem is at the 8.25 gallon mark but you would have the same issue with the 15 gallon kettle, there are quick and easy ways to move the level of the thermostem(cutting involved:(), other than that you should have no real issues other than having to pony up the $30 for an extra 5 gallons worth of space:mug:

Sorry, should have mentioned... The kettles I'm looking at are the Bayou Classic SS. No thermo necessary, I'll have a handheld one and this is just a boil kettle.

Sorry, should have mentioned... The kettles I'm looking at are the Bayou Classic SS. No thermo necessary, I'll have a handheld one and this is just a boil kettle.

ok then there are no real issues you should have, didn't see any large Bayou SS models that had spigots to add a valve so i guess you'll be cutting it yourself, and it looks like it'll be $50 dollars more for that extra 5 gallons

Back