Kettle heat loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter_Stout

Reaction score
New to all grain brewing so I bought a 10 gal Megapot 1.2 for 5 gallon batches. I started testing it, heated to 160F, and had a 10-15 degree heat loss. This was tested with water only. Does having grist in it reduce this heat loss? I hear of people (on the internet) who use this pot and the heat loss is only like 2 degrees. I even tried insulating the pot with reflectix (silver bubble) insulation and still got 6-10 degree losses. My next resort will be a blanket/sleeping bag. Just wondering if this loss was because I was only heating water, or should I expect this same result when adding grains?

Last edited:
[edit] Increased thermal mass takes longer to heat and longer to cool. I think you should note a big difference in temperature loss rate with a full tun of mash vs plain water as the mash would be rather immobile vs plain water which better supports currents. Might be wrong though.

Cheers!

[edit] Increased thermal mass takes longer to heat and longer to cool. I think you should note a big difference in temperature loss rate with a full tun of mash vs plain water as the mash would be rather immobile vs plain water which better supports currents. Might be wrong though.

Cheers!
So the grist will act as thermal mass and will retain the heat, therefore less heat lost in the mash? (or at least a lower temperature delta over time)

I am no expert, so take this for what it is worth. I have a 10 gallon Gas One kettle that I use for BIAB brews. I monitor the temp guage on it, as it is accurate to a degree or two. I try and leave a small flame on my propane burner but sometimes it goes out. My kettle can keep at about 150 to 152 for about 10 to 15 mins, then I start to see a bit of a drop in temp. I tried a rather thin blanket and it worked ok. But, I now have a super thick moving blanket that I am going to try. My thought is, I watch it like a hawk. During the mash I don't leave the area unless I need another beer or gotta pee. LOL. I am still working on my process, but the mash heat consistency has gotten better. Once I hit the boil, then it gets a bit easier. LOL. Like I said, not by any means a pro, so take it for what it is worth. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to insulate it from the ground! If it's standing on a electric heater plate or similar, it will loose much heat through the contact of the bottom of the pot.

An easy fix is to place it on top of two oven gloves or similar when mashing. Covering the pot with a blanket or sleeping bag will keep the heat loss within one hour at below three degrees. I got 2 degrees heat loss in one hour this way.

Don't forget to insulate it from the ground! If it's standing on a electric heater plate or similar, it will loose much heat through the contact of the bottom of the pot.

An easy fix is to place it on top of two oven gloves or similar when mashing. Covering the pot with a blanket or sleeping bag will keep the heat loss within one hour at below three degrees. I got 2 degrees heat loss in one hour this way.
I currently am using an outdoor propane stove. It has very little contact with the bottom of the pot. I am wanting to invest in an actual propane brewing set-up, but the cost on those burners are outrageous.

I currently am using an outdoor propane stove. It has very little contact with the bottom of the pot. I am wanting to invest in an actual propane brewing set-up, but the cost on those burners are outrageous.
Sounds like my previous setup. You should be good by just covering the pot completely with a sleeping bag during the mash.

Thank you everyone! I did my first BIAB in my kettle this past weekend and did what everyone recommended. I wrapped it in a sleeping bag and it kept heat perfectly. Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Back