Kettle fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I just got my first large pot with 2 welded fittings. I've got the Blichmann Brewmometer in the top fitting and a 1/2 in SS ball valve in the bottom. The Brewmometer fit perfect and I have no problem with that. The ball valve was a real problem. I used Teflon thread tape and made it snug but it leaked. I then used a wrench and tightened it another turn. There is still a small leak (like 1 small drop every 20 minutes). I don't want to break the thing and I don't think I can get it any tighter. What should I do? Not worry about such a small leak?

Will I ever remove those things for any reason?

Remove, retape, retighten. I that doesn't work, they sell thread sealer in a little tube at a plumbing store. I wouldn't just let it leak because that means you'll have wort trapped around the threads with no way to clean it out. It may or may not ever be a problem, but I wouldn't knowingly leave a little bacteria haven in your brewpot.

At some point, you might get some gunk in the valve that you can't clean easily without removing it.

Sometime being too tight can even cause a slow leak. Screw it in there, but stop when you start to feel resistance (<-- there's a joke in there somewhere!)

Try using the yellow Teflon (marketed for gas fittings, same **** just thicker) leave the very first thread bare, and make sure your wrapping in the direction your threading. 3-5 wraps, make sure you don't back off after you tighten it... Hasn't failed me in 12 years of pipe fitting...

Domer said:
Try using the yellow Teflon (marketed for gas fittings, same **** just thicker) leave the very first thread bare, and make sure your wrapping in the direction your threading. 3-5 wraps, make sure you don't back off after you tighten it... Hasn't failed me in 12 years of pipe fitting...

I've got some of that too. I will try that.

What happens if I tightened too much already and it stretched the metal or something? Any way to know?

Probably would have had to really crank on it to ruin the threads... Hand thread it in and try to wiggle it, if there is play (like you can feel it moving with in the threads) just use 5 wraps instead of 3. If the threads aren't usable, you should be able to tell visually (missing/broken or crossed threads) stretching happens and is part of the reason why you need to use Teflon.

ntalkers said:
I've also heard of people using a product called JB Waterweld, but I don't know much about it.

JB Weld is some pretty impressive stuff. I sets up harder than steel when it is cured. Not sure if it food safe though. I would look into it and if it is food safe, use it. Just don't expect to EVER, EVER get it off.

I wouldn't use JB weld or anything like it unless it was an emergency. It'll work for now, but will eventually fail... When it fails it'll be in one little spot, and your gonna pay the price getting the **** that did stick off so you can make the repair.
If the Teflon tape doesnt work, get the paste version (comes in a tube, make sure it says "for potable water use") and keep it away from the first couple threads. I've seen plumbers use both, seems like overkill to me though...

So the yellow gas tape worked perfectly. Problem solved. Thanks again guys.

Unfortunately, I didn't think this whole thing through. I cannot use my "put pot in bathtub full of ice and water" method for cooling. I think I absolutely have to have a wort chiller. Damn. Guess I won't be able to brew for awhile.

Back