Kettle Berliner- infected after racking on fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. Just started home brewing and everything’s gone great until about a week ago. I brewed a kettle soured Berliner weisse about a month ago. Did a ton of research and felt confident in the game plan. Mashed, 15 min boil to kill anything, pitched good belly, let it sour, boiled for 20 minutes and transferred to primary for 10 days. Bought a bunch of frozen fruit, mashed and simmered them to disinfect and racked on top of them in 3 smaller carboys(2 had raspberries, 1 had a mixed variety of fruit. Took a taste of the beer while racking and tasted great. After about a week(About two weeks ago), 1 of the raspberries developed a film, I decided to leave it for now . About a week after that(a few days ago) the second raspberry is forming the same film. I planned on bottling one in a couple weeks and the other a few weeks later. The only thing I feel like I messed up during this entire process, is having excess headspace in the secondaries, a miscalculation on my part.

-Is this infection a pellicle?do you think it occurred in the secondary or had been there in primary as well?

-Should I stay the course with my plan? Should I bottle the mixed fruit one ?

-any ideas of where this infection could have occurred?
- I’ve used some equipment from this process on other beers(cleaned and sanitized), any worry there?

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

Attachments

• 04AAA99D-2333-4CAB-9E5B-9EDE3E48FE9D.jpeg
    04AAA99D-2333-4CAB-9E5B-9EDE3E48FE9D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 543454B1-8AA0-410D-8884-ADAAD130D64E.jpeg
    543454B1-8AA0-410D-8884-ADAAD130D64E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • AE3DB41E-E9E5-43B5-91A1-16DAE422F2BB.jpeg
    AE3DB41E-E9E5-43B5-91A1-16DAE422F2BB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Yes, that's a pellicle.

Nothing you mentioned sounds out of line; boiling should kill everything. The beer could have picked up a contamination at any point in the process; wild microbes are everywhere, including the air.

Yes, that's a pellicle.

Nothing you mentioned sounds out of line; boiling should kill everything. The beer could have picked up a contamination at any point in the process; wild microbes are everywhere, including the air.
Is it okay to bottle currently? I’ve heard of pellicles causing bottle bombs

Assuming it smells and tastes OK, in my opinion it's fine to bottle. The risk of over-carbonation is low.
However you should monitor it to make sure that excessive carbonation doesn't develop (open bottles periodically), and refrigerate the bottles during storage if possible.

Back