Kent-astrophe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStoutYeoman

Reaction score
Hello All,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I searched and found it not.

I've brewed two beers now using Kent Goldings hops and both times I had the same thing happen. The things were full of seeds. At least I have to imagine they were seeds. At the end of the boil, the top of my wort was covered with these things. I did my best to strain, but they always ended up in the fermenter and then some even showed up after bottling. The second brew I did (an English Bitter) was the most annoying. I had to stop every beer and a half to unclog my bottling wand of the things.

Anybody else have this problem, and if so how did you rectify it? Is this particular to Kent Goldings? Are these, in fact, seeds? I was using whole flower hops both times, but have used other varieties of whole hops without this occurrence. I love the Goldings and don't want to have to go through this every time I use them.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

When I use whole leaf, these things show up in my kettle regardless of the hop variety. I place a SS scrubby on my keggle dip tube to filter out the leaf hops, it also keeps the "seeds" out.

Back