Kegs on boats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Hey all, wondering if anyone has managed to transplant a kegging setup onto a boat? I've been trying to work through my head how we could bring homebrew kegs aboard and have them on tap. Not necessarily a fancy permanent install. I'm thinking the 2.5G kegs would be perfect and should fit in the cabin fridge, and maybe the small paintball c02 canister would work for gas.

Of course this will probably turn into drilling holes through our countertop and installing a tower :mug:

Would love to hear what others have come up with. I sure don't want to go back to bottling, and carrying growlers back and forth could prove to be a pain.

I've tried it with a jockey box on my North River jet.
Unless the water was glass I had foam problems. Just light rocking of the boat while sitting on anchor caused foam.

I usually end up filling a few recycled 2 ltr soda bottles. Works ok.

I didnt even think of the foam, that makes sense. The other concern would be stirring up sediment. I'm thinking I'd have to crash in a 5G and rack off the top to the other keg.

Soda bottles sound way easier.

I went with a couple of these and a paintball co2 setup.

http://deepwoodbrew.com/stainless-steel-growlers/10-stainless-steel-growler-2l-mini-keg.html

I got a small boat (19ft CC) so these fit well, and frankly I don't like getting hammered on the water so its a good size for a fishing trip with a few folks.

Those are really cool. Totally agree on the not getting hammered part, it's just plain dangerous. Every year there is at least one boat who drives right into the pier and booze is always involved. CG is cracking down on BWI's now too.

I use my camping / road trip / sporting events cooler. I followed the instructions here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172047). I have two 2.5 gallon kegs, paintball co2, two taps. Only take one keg if there aren't many of us, and the driver (almost always me) doesn't drink while we cruise around. No foaming problems. I do transfer from 5g to the smaller kegs.

I used to captain a Lagoon 500 that had a full-sized two tap kegerator in the galley

....and a pop-up big screen TV, washer, dryer, dishwasher, loads of freezer/fridge space, fully air conditioned...and a 12KW genset to run all that crap! ;-)

But, for a small boat look at jockey box setups using an ice chest.

I wonder if using a gimbal setup like is used on sailboats for stoves and kerosene lamps would work.

Probably more trouble than it's worth.

Back