Kegs from Midwest - replaced o-rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I received three kegs from Midwest today. They advertise their reconditioned kegs as:

Midwest Supplies said:
5 Gallon Ball Lock Reconditioned Cornelius Keg: These kegs have been cleaned with a caustic soda rinse. These kegs have been pressure tested and rings replaced before leaving our store. 25" Tall x 8" diameter - 26" tall with the disconnects. Note: Caustic cleaner does have a sweet smell to it - similar to sprite or 7 up. The insides of these kegs are in great shape, but you may need to give the outside a little love.

When I pulled the dip tubes, none of the o-rings appear to have been replaced. For example:

dip_tubes.jpg

Yes, that o-ring is actually torn. The post o-rings look replaced, but at least one has a chunk missing:

ball_lock.jpg

So what do you think? Am I wrong to expect new o-rings? I was hoping to use these this week/weekend and now I have to find replacement o-rings somewhere. My LHBS is 45+ minutes away and useless as...well, you get the idea.

-Joe

call midwest, if they don't offer to send you free ones, buy them at mcmaster. abuot $20 for a long-time supply and they'll show up the next day (most places)

B

I just got 3 kegs from midwest and the o-rings were perfect. The kegs were even pressurized upon arrival (likely due to elevation change).

I would contact them and show them the pictures you posted. They should give you a full set of o-rings for that.

Take those dip tubes to Lowe's You can buy o-rings there for pennies.
That's not the point. The point is I was led to believe the kegs I purchased would have new o-rings on them and they don't. I don't appreciate that.

Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but when I pay money for something, I expect to get what I'm told I'm going to get. Yeah, new o-rings are pennies, but what about my time and gas to drive the 25 minutes each way to Lowe's? I would have been just as happy paying a couple dollars extra somewhere else to get properly reconditioned kegs.

Either way, I've sent them an email about it. I'll let y'all know what they say.

-Joe

Sorry BM, I realize you were responding to the "now I have to find o-rings" part of my post.

As I said, I'm pretty cranky. I was in a crap mood before the kegs came in and finding busted up o-rings didn't help much.

-Joe

Midwest is pretty much my exclusive online store. One time they sent me a galon jug that had broken during shipping. I called them up and 2 days later they send me a brand new one. I have alos bought two kegs and a co2 tank from them and all of them were fine...after i tightened some screws tighter.

Call them. My wife bought my whole keg set-up from them. When it arrived, the low-side gauge on the reg assembly was damaged. They sent an entire new regulator assembly express delivery so I could have it hooked up by the weekend. Good guys.

-Todd

If it was advertised as reconditioned, I would ***** about it and have them send O-ring kits. To me reconditioned means, cleaned of syrup residue, replace orings, verify working poppets and pressure relief seals, and check that they hold pressure.

Received an email reply from Midwest today.

They apologized, explaining they were behind in their keg rebuilds and had hired some new help who apparently dropped the ball.

They thanked me for the head's up on the QC and are sending me 3 sets of o-rings.

That's the kind of response to a customer issue that builds loyal customers.

-Joe

I had the exact same thing happen with me. I called and they sent me new ones. But I see the problem is still happening.

In any case, I'd bulk order some new O-rings from McMaster Carr. They're cheap and you'll have a ton of them.

Mike

Anybody have McMaster Carr part numbers/links for the o-rings? I'm sure I could find them, but if somebody has them handy it'd be much appreciated.

That was actually my first choice, but since I needed other things KegConnection didn't stock it made more sense to go with Midwest.

-Joe

I had the same problem with a post ring, but on only one of three kegs I recently got from Midwest. I called, they apologized, and the sent me post and dip tube rings for all three kegs. I'll order from them again, since they handled it, and were very nice about it.

I just got my 4 keg setup from them (MW). Looks like I need to do some double checking to ensure mine were replaced. I appreciate the heads up.

I guess it depends where it's getting shipped to but I find Mcmasters shipping to be extraordinarily fast and cheap. Most of my boxes show up the same day, for $4 shipping, "Fedex lightning next day". But yeah, I'd find that steep for some Orings.. Check out www.oringandmore.com

Well I took apart my kegs and appear to have the same issue. The lid o-rings I honestly can't tell if were replaced or not, but appear to be fine. The post o-rings were all replaced and appear in fine shape.

none of the dip tube o-rings had been changed though. some of them were in terrible condition.

I called MW, and got hold of them less than 10 minutes before they closed. The lady I spoke to was very nice, and apologized for the issue. She is going to drop the orings in the mail for me. It sounds like I she is dropping whole sets in there for me, so I'll get a few extra o-rings.

she said that they were closing right then, but would package them up and drop them in the USPS mail tonight so I get them asap.

I wish it wouldn't have been missed but mistakes do happen. the way they handled it was great, and won't deter me from continuing to use them.

This makes me nervous i ordered a kit and will get it tomorrow and i need to get my beer in there asap. hope all is well with my kegs .

Well I got my replacement orings today. that was quick, I only contacted them at the end of business 9/17.

I also got a full oring replacement kit, 1 set for each of the four kegs I purchased. I'm happy they took care of this quick and hassle free. I'm also happy that I can replace these orings today, and hopefully have draft beer for football on Sunday :)

edit - correction, I contacted them EOB on 9/16. the postmark was 9/17. for regular mail from them to central PA, that is pretty quick.

Back