Kegmenter keeps getting infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
Hi, guys, I have a steel 23L vessel that has had two invections in a row. I replaced all the seals the first time boiled it, scrubbed it, and left star san it for a week. do I have to replace the seals again? I cleaned with star san double strength this time.

It' a steel vessel with gas and liquid dissconnects

It's hard to give specific advice without looking at it.
Could you post a picture of it, and if possible, one looking inside too, and anything else that may be helpful?

If there are hidden areas, bad welds or rough spots, narrow channels, exposed threads, etc. those are all area "bugs" can hide.

I have a sanke keg for fermenting and I could never get it totally clean no matter what I did. PBW soak, boiling water, steaming it, etc. It looked clean but always had a bad smell. I turned it upside, put a CIP ball inside it and pumped a strong PBW solution through it for 30 minutes and that did the trick. No more smell. It's worth giving that a try.

If you have an infection, then you definitely want to get rid of the gaskets.

Also, you should be using PBW to clean it, not Star San. They do different things. PBW is going to help clean away organic material. Star San is for sanitizing it once it's clean. I wouldn't rely strictly on Star San to clean something.

Back