Keggle Upgrades/Add-Ons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMAC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 keggles and looking at upgrading to add thermometers, sight glass, dip tubes, etc. What add-ons are on your boil and mash tuns? I've found my boil off is not as consistent as I'd like so I almost need a slight glass to make sure I've brought the volume down enough to fit the carboys.

Currently running a 2 keggle with 8 gal pot for sparge water. Keggle1 is my mash tun with false bottom, Keggle2 for boil.

I have 2 keggles and looking at upgrading to add thermometers, sight glass, dip tubes, etc. What add-ons are on your boil and mash tuns? I've found my boil off is not as consistent as I'd like so I almost need a slight glass to make sure I've brought the volume down enough to fit the carboys.

Currently running a 2 keggle with 8 gal pot for sparge water. Keggle1 is my mash tun with false bottom, Keggle2 for boil.

Nothing fancy for me. HLT has a valve, dip tube, and thermometer mounted on it. Toying with the idea of adding a sight glass as I can't look inside when sparging and cleaning, (just far enough away).

MLT just has a valve and 4' ss screen off a supply line.

BK has 2 valves, and un-screened dip tube made from ss fittings. And on the top valve is a ss 90 so I can whirl pool. And a thermometer mounted.

Probably won't add a sight tube to the BK as I'm always right close to it and can easily tell the level by looking inside. Bottom ring on kettle I consider to be 5 1/6 gallons, seam in middle 7 1/4, top ring 10 1/3.
I guesstimate the rest.

pb

my set up -
HLT - sight glass and whirlport port. (would go temp probe sight glass combo, but I measure with a rtd while i circluate) I also have a herms coil with in/out through the wall.
MT- full false bottom, sparge return port.
BK - sight glass/themo combo. whirlpool port

Nothing fancy for me. HLT has a valve, dip tube, and thermometer mounted on it. Toying with the idea of adding a sight glass as I can't look inside when sparging and cleaning, (just far enough away).

MLT just has a valve and 4' ss screen off a supply line.

BK has 2 valves, and un-screened dip tube made from ss fittings. And on the top valve is a ss 90 so I can whirl pool. And a thermometer mounted.

Probably won't add a sight tube to the BK as I'm always right close to it and can easily tell the level by looking inside. Bottom ring on kettle I consider to be 5 1/6 gallons, seam in middle 7 1/4, top ring 10 1/3.
I guesstimate the rest.

pb

2 valves on the BK? Please do explain.

2 valves on the BK? Please do explain.

There is a valve towards the top, inside a 90 degree elbow is pointed sideways. I hook a pump between the two valves and then I can whirlpool until hot break is done. Also I whirlpool during cooling to help out cooling faster.

pb

I've never been concerned with hot break, or cold break as I use a CFC straight to a carboy, I have been looking at pump options which would allow me to whirlpool. Perhaps this is why my best beers are good and not amazing.

Slightglass T with thermometer are on order.

Back