Keggle Strain...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMBrewer

Reaction score
I did my first AG last weekend, looks like it is going very well. I had one snag however...

After my boil I turned on my spigot on my keggle and it was clogged with hops. I have a stainless steel hose attached to my copper tubing. It seems to be too 'fine'. Any alternative suggestions? Will I need a false bottom or is there another straining devise that is less prone to clogging?

What a lot of people use, myself included is a hop strainer. Click here.

You add your hop additions through the funnel-like opening. At the end of your boil, you just hoist it up let it drain a little, and set aside. I use leaf hops primarily, and it keeps them out of the wort, yet it allows plenty of interaction between hops and wort during the boil. Some pellet hop sludge might escape, but that won't likely affect your keggle draining.

Oh, and congrats on your first AG! Welcome to the club.

I did my first AG today and had the same problem. I finally gave up and poured everything into the fermenter. I have the parts to make a hop strainer but didnt have time to make it yet. I will definately have it ready for next time.

I did have a 5gal paint strainer in the bucket so it caught most of the hops and trub.

I did my first AG today and had the same problem. I finally gave up and poured everything into the fermenter. I have the parts to make a hop strainer but didnt have time to make it yet. I will definately have it ready for next time.

I did have a 5gal paint strainer in the bucket so it caught most of the hops and trub.

Same thing here. :mug: Although mine was a ten gal batch, so it took a couple of us.

What a lot of people use, myself included is a hop strainer. Click here.

You add your hop additions through the funnel-like opening. At the end of your boil, you just hoist it up let it drain a little, and set aside. I use leaf hops primarily, and it keeps them out of the wort, yet it allows plenty of interaction between hops and wort during the boil. Some pellet hop sludge might escape, but that won't likely affect your keggle draining.

Oh, and congrats on your first AG! Welcome to the club.

What are the parts I would need to make such a device? I like that a lot.

Latest posts

Back