keggle squeals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumpsterfish

Reaction score
So, I just fired up my keggles for the first time, and noticed that one of them makes a faint squealing noise when heated.

I've read about the fabled exploding keggles, but this one has the holes drilled into the bottom lip, and doesn't appear to be sealed.

Anyone else encounter this issue? For what it's worth, it's a European A style keg...

I would be concerned about any noise like that. Are you sure it's coming from the keg and not from the propane regulator or tank valve?

yeah, definitely the keg. Concerned as anyone would be, I transferred the wort out of that one and into the HLT (also a keggle) on the same burner.

No noise from the other keg. It's odd, since there's nowhere on the keg that pressure could get trapped. I was thinking maybe some moisture inside that bottom ring, and the whistling was the steam escaping through the holes?

I'm stumped.

Water being quicly changed to steam can cause that noise.

Keep an eye on it. If it continues to give you issues you may have problem..

That is very peculiar. There is a slim possibility that the noise is caused by the metal expanding. I'm thinking that maybe the rolled skirt rim is rubbing against the bottom as the keg is heated and the metal expands. There may also be some debris or mud inside the rolled rim which is holding moisture and not letting it drain freely. Are there any odd burning smells or anything like that?

Are there any odd burning smells or anything like that?

Funnily enough, there was an odd burning smell, which I chalked up to using a bbq grate set on top of my turkey fryer to widen the burner surface.

The grates were new, and I figured that there just must have been some residue on them. Also, the keg has a sticker on the underside, which oddly enough didn't appear to even char.

I think I'm going to inspect it this week, and maybe set up a test fire where I can narrow down some variables.

It's common that, even tho the chime is drilled, crud can get packed into the ring enough to hold some pressure.

If it's squealing, I'd try drilling some more holes in that ring.

Back