Keggle Nastyness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I built what I think is a pretty sweet single tier all-grain stand that I have been brewing on for about 1.5 years now. After my most recent brew I decided to disassemble my boil kettle (a keggle with weld-less bulkheads) and was disturbed with what I saw!

There was quite a bit of gunky wort in almost every imaginable nook and cranny of every connection. The bottom bulkhead is connected to a stainless elbow which is connected to a side pickup tube on the inside of the kettle and I have a similar configuration at the top of the kettle to return wort during whirlpool.

I have been able to soak and clean the all various pieces satisfactorily with the exception of one of the stainless elbows. This elbow has what appears to be a deposit attached to the inside of the bend. It almost looks like mold and after a soak in PBW and a few rounds through the dishwasher it is still there. I can even get the tip of a screwdriver to it, but it wont come off.

My questions to you all are as follows:
-What can I use to get the remaining nasties off the one elbow? Should I just replace it?
-How often do you all disassemble your keg for cleaning? Is a PBW soak good enough or should I use something else?
-Now I am starting to understand the allure of sanitary setups, why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?!?

So I grossed everyone out with reports of mold on my elbow. I get it. I was grossed out too.

How often does everyone disassemble their pump head? I am going to take a look in there before my next brew day. I recir PBW for about 15 minutes after every brew.

So I grossed everyone out with reports of mold on my elbow. I get it. I was grossed out too.

How often does everyone disassemble their pump head? I am going to take a look in there before my next brew day. I recir PBW for about 15 minutes after every brew.

I have only disassembled my pump head for cleaning once. It was perfectly clean (and it's seen a lot of use). The pump usually gets cleaned only with a few quick squirts from the hose. I do occassionally run oxyclean or PBW.

I never take apart the fittings on my keg.

I never take apart the fittings on my keg.

And I haven't heard others mention it as a best practice. I was really, really surprised by what I saw.

Of course, the most concerning thing I came across was the growth inside the elbow. It is the elbow from Bargain Fittings and is in 304 stainless steel. I am not sure if it is a characteristic of 304 of the fact that the fitting is not polished, but it isn't super smooth like the dip tube or their cam lock fittings are. I wonder if the lack of a super smooth surface is what allowed something to hang around and begin to grow.

Here are a few photos of the piece in question.

image-3299371577.jpg

image-3489832446.jpg

Yeesh, I would soak that sucker overnight in PBW and take a brush to it. If that doesn't do it you're on your own.

Just curious but were you getting any off flavors or infections in your beers?

I wouldn't think so because everything was subjected to the boil for at least an hour. It looks more like some sort of calcium buildup than a mold or bacterial growth.

How often does everyone disassemble their pump head?

Believe it or not, everytime I brew - I dont have a chugger so I'm unfamiliar with them but my pump has four wing-nuts and comes right apart for rinsing, cleaning and sanitizing.

Try getting and using some 5 star #5 acid. A pro brew buddy of mine swears by it. He whirlpools it in his brew kettle and the thing stays nice and shiny.

It's hard to get on a home brew level, from what I've seen, I had to order a case and am still waiting on it. Plus I had to pay extra for hazmat fees in the shipping.

Or try whirlpooling some pbw for a while at, say, 140 degrees. That may help too.

Have you tried, Bar Keepers Friend, and a toothbrush? That may get it too. Not sure though.

Worst case, keep in mine that you will be boiling for at least an hour so it will kill anything nasty and the debris that might break loose should settle out after you whirlpool.

I rinse my keggle with boiling water after each brew. Flush out all the fitting and valves. My only issue is the beer stone, that's why I ordered the #5 acid. Gonna give it a try.

pb --- RDWHAHB

stevo4361 said:

Not that I am aware of. I have been medaling or scoring highly in competitions lately with no comments on off flavors attributed to infections.

two_hearted said:
I wouldn't think so because everything was subjected to the boil for at least an hour. It looks more like some sort of calcium buildup than a mold or bacterial growth.

I am leaning towards a buildup of deposit of some sort as well considering how it is so well attached to the wall.

plumber_bob said:
Try getting and using some 5 star #5 acid. A pro brew buddy of mine swears by it. He whirlpools it in his brew kettle and the thing stays nice and shiny. It's hard to get on a home brew level, from what I've seen, I had to order a case and am still waiting on it. Plus I had to pay extra for hazmat fees in the shipping. Or try whirlpooling some pbw for a while at, say, 140 degrees. That may help too. Have you tried, Bar Keepers Friend, and a toothbrush? That may get it too. Not sure though. Worst case, keep in mine that you will be boiling for at least an hour so it will kill anything nasty and the debris that might break loose should settle out after you whirlpool. I rinse my keggle with boiling water after each brew. Flush out all the fitting and valves. My only issue is the beer stone, that's why I ordered the #5 acid. Gonna give it a try. pb --- RDWHAHB

Thanks for the tip on the #5 acid. I am currently whirlpooling with just PBW. What concentration of PBW are you using?

Bobby_M said:
That is some leftover sand from the metal casting process. Chip it out with a screwdriver.

You think so? I find that pretty surprising, but suppose it could be the case. I have tried going at it with a screw driver, but it doesn't seem to want to budge.

Thanks for the tip on the #5 acid. I am currently whirlpooling with just PBW. What concentration of PBW are you using?

I just got to wOrk, (third shift), so I can't read the tub from here. :D
But I mix it a little stronger that what the directions say.

pb

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I was really surprised to find the deposit in the first place and now and surprised that no one has experienced the same!

I will give it one more shot to get cleaned up and replace it if I am unsuceesful. This may be what pushes me over the edge to get a Stout kettle...

WI_Wino said:
Buy a new stainless steel elbow? <$10 I think.

Without a doubt this is the best and easiest solution, but curiosity and stubbornness makes me want to get to the bottom of this!

After soaking it overnight in dishwasher detergents and going to town scraping it out with a knife, I made pretty good progress. It is soaking now while I am at work.

After soaking it overnight in dishwasher detergents and going to town scraping it out with a knife, I made pretty good progress. It is soaking now while I am at work.

Ha, Ha, Ha, I just got home and I'm doing my 25oz curls! Well, they start out as 25oz and get lighter with each curl. Then I gotta re-fill and repeat.:tank:

I do them for 3 hours then go to bed for 7, then get up for work.

pb

You think so? I find that pretty surprising, but suppose it could be the case. I have tried going at it with a screw driver, but it doesn't seem to want to budge.

I could be wrong, but I import and have sold maybe 10,000 fittings this year so I've seen a few of these and that's what the manufacturer that casts them told me it was.

Back