Keggle MT thermometer placement considerations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintodave

Reaction score
Hey guys n gals... After much delay I am finally finishing up my brew rig. It is a direct-fired RIMS setup, 15" false bottom that sits right at the beginning of the curvature of the kettle bottom. Just got in my brewmometers and I am trying to decide the best place to put this in relation to the grain bed. I've read other discussions for people with digital controls, elec systems, etc as to the best location, but what about for a plain-jane 'mechanical' setup?

The best I can figure, since I am doing a constant recirc, the middle of the grain bed should be just fine - since this is where 'the action is happening' I figured that would be the ideal spot to monitor...

Which leads me to my next question - on an average mash with 10 lbs of grain and 1.5 qts per lb, what is a good guestimation of total space occupied in the keggle?

If any of the experienced AG brewers out there can lend their thoughts that would be awsome! Should be doing my first AG real soon....

-David

I'm no expert but, would like to give a free bump. As I've only got about twelve batches with my new keggle I'm wondering the same thing. For a different reason-tired of broken floating thermos.

Hey guys n gals... After much delay I am finally finishing up my brew rig. It is a direct-fired RIMS setup, 15" false bottom that sits right at the beginning of the curvature of the kettle bottom. Just got in my brewmometers and I am trying to decide the best place to put this in relation to the grain bed. I've read other discussions for people with digital controls, elec systems, etc as to the best location, but what about for a plain-jane 'mechanical' setup?

The best I can figure, since I am doing a constant recirc, the middle of the grain bed should be just fine - since this is where 'the action is happening' I figured that would be the ideal spot to monitor...

Which leads me to my next question - on an average mash with 10 lbs of grain and 1.5 qts per lb, what is a good guestimation of total space occupied in the keggle?

If any of the experienced AG brewers out there can lend their thoughts that would be awsome! Should be doing my first AG real soon....

-David

Using 10 lbs of grain and a water/grain ration of 1.5 qts/lb will give you a mash volume of about 5 gallons. The grain bed depth will be just under six inches above the bottom. Ideally you would want to place the thermometer where it will give you the best average mash temperature. This would probably be half way in the grain bed depth and half way between the center and the outer wall of the mash tun.

Using 10 lbs of grain and a water/grain ration of 1.5 qts/lb will give you a mash volume of about 5 gallons. The grain bed depth will be just under six inches above the bottom. Ideally you would want to place the thermometer where it will give you the best average mash temperature. This would probably be half way in the grain bed depth and half way between the center and the outer wall of the mash tun.

Perfect, thanks for the feedback!

Back