Keggle Lid, soldering washers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernYankee

Reaction score
I guess this could fall under the soldering stainless steel thread.
But I wanted to make another thread for those of you wanting a simple way of soldering washers to the keggle lid for those that may want to use them.

Everything is pretty much the same as for the tools needed to solder it as in the soldering stainless thread (Harris flux, silver solder etc...) You also need a small clamp or two.

Several drops of flux and then place the silver solder around the washer and heat the underside up. A little clean up and there you have it.

20140303_203000.jpg

20140303_202437.jpg

20140303_202849.jpg

20140303_203906.jpg

20140303_203811.jpg

That looks to easy. Now I am going to have to do that too. I have two kegs cut and working on a third. Do the washers have to be stainless steel?

That looks to easy. Now I am going to have to do that too. I have two kegs cut and working on a third. Do the washers have to be stainless steel?

Well put it this way. If you look at the first photo with the washers laying on the white plastic bag, the washer on the left is a Zinc Plated washers. I had 5 washers (4 of them stainless) and I knew one of them was a zinc plated one. However, its been like two years since I've used them and could'nt remember which was which.
Upon trying to solder it...It didn't stick to the lid.

A shorter answer: Yes, I would use stainless.

Back