Kegging uncarbonated bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem86

Reaction score
My first batch did not carbonate in the bottles (almost no carbonation). Can I pour those into a keg to force carbonate?
Would that work?

Why do you think they did not carb in the bottles? How long have they been in there? Temp? Priming sugar amount?

I followed the priming sugar directions with the kit.
They sat in the bottles at room temp (76-78) for about 2 week and then they went into the fridge.
They have been in the fridge for about 3 weeks now. They have a very small "hiss" when I open them but I pour them and they are just flat.

You stuck them in the fridge too soon. I've had big beers take a month to carbonate correctly. I would take them out for another couple weeks. My advice is not to listen to when the instructions tell you things are done (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, bottle condition 2 weeks). The beer will be done when it is done. Yeast don't follow a strict schedule. Patients will be rewarded.

Many consider 3 weeks at 70 degrees to be the minimum amount of time for bottle conditioning. Take them out of the fridge for a couple more weeks and if that doesn't work, keg carefully.

In the future, try putting just one in the fridge to test. If its not carbed, just let the rest continue carbonating. Maybe try one per week.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will take them out of the fridge and let them sit at room temperature for another couple weeks.
Hopefully they will turn out well.

I poured about 40 bottles of uncarbed beer into my keg and force carbed it. Turned out fine. Set the psi for 30 psi for two days, and you should be good to go

Latest posts

Back