Kegging temperature/pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsgoodmiley

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging but I'm familiar with the gas laws. I've chilled my keg and found a serving pressure I am comfortable with. However, I've done this by putting keg into a 10 gallon cooler with lots of ice. I'm using the keg at my wedding but I don't need it for a few more days. If I disconnect the gas and allow the keg to warm to room temp, wait a few days, and cool it back to serving temperature, Shouldnt the co2 dissolve back into solution and be at the same co2 saturation it was at earlier?

Yes as long as the same amount of co2 is still present (i.e. no leaks). How long? I have no idea. it may take a few hours to redissolve that co2 from the headspace back into the beer

fwiw, you can carbonate at room temperature just as quickly as cold, you just need to compensate with the CO2 pressure.

I'd point to our favorite carbonation table but it tops out before "warm". It's still illuminating, but instead use this carbonation calculator.

Chose the "kegging" method, set your desired carbonation level in volumes of CO2, set your ambient temperature, and hit the calculate button to reveal the optimal CO2 pressure at your selected temperature.

Over the same duration you'll hit the same carbonation level as if you had been carbing cold...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back