Kegging small batches in 5 gallon kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a setup to start kegging my own beer. I make 2.5 gallon batches. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to buy 5 gallon corny kegs? These are a lot cheaper than the 2.5 - 3 gallon kegs. I'm wondering if I'll have any issues trying to carbonate only half of the container.

Thanks

I don't think you should have any issues with the kegging and carbing. You just need to make sure you purge the air as you would in any case. The only thing I could see happen is that you are going to use more CO2 in the headspace than someone like me who does 5 gallons. But if your ok with using more CO2, then I don't really see an issue. But it shouldn't really be alot more.

My first kegging experience was with about 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg. It worked out just fine. I put the gas on on Friday afternoon and had a small party on Saturday evening and the beer was gone.

Back