Kegging / Shake to target Carb volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been kegging for a while and most of the time I just hook it up and forget about it for a while.

But recently I need to move a bunch of cider through faster in the carb process.

I just wanted to confirm with people who know more than I regarding carbonating...

Target volume of carbonation is 3.0

If I set my pressure to 15psi, and keep temperature at 35 I should get really close to 3 vol.

According to this carb chart http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

My question is if I shake the keg will it continue to absorb until I reach that volume given I hold temperature and pressure constant? Or can I over-carbonate by shaking the keg?

You are correct that you can not over carbonate the beverage if the pressure is set corresponding to the desired volumes of CO2 and temperature.

Alternatively, what I've been doing lately (I don't like shaking) is cranking up the pressure to 30-40psi for 24 hours, then back it down to the desired correct pressure. This will shave a good 5-7 days off, but adds a risk component (if you forget to change it after 2 days, you'll probably overcarb).

total volumes of CO2 will stop at 3 volumes, assuming you're using correct pressure/temp. Shaking only accelerates the processes by increases surface area for CO2 absorption. Shake all you want!

shaking should really only be done in a pinch, like you need that beer carbed and be able to serve the next day. and yes you can over carb by doing this method.

a lot of people do the 30psi for the first 24 hours then drop it back down and let it sit. this will bring your overall time to about 1 week to force carb.

My usual MO is to start "pre carbing" at room temps. I have two regulators and two CO2 tanks. One is exclusively for my kegerator the other is for purging and other stuff. The room temp one is set at 35psi and I will hook up a new keg, rock it back and forth until i stop hearing CO2 going into solution, and leave it until there is space in my kegerator.

After 2-3 days, if i purge the keg and stick it in there at 12psi, it will be nicely carbed (albeit a bit undercarbed) by the next morning. I feel this is safer than having the keg at 30psi and cold for any amount of time

and yes you can over carb by doing this method.

I don't believe this is a correct statement. The beer can only absorb up to the head space pressure. If you set it to 12 psi, the beer can not absorb more than that - it has to equalize with the head space pressure.

An alternative to shaking it is to hook up your gas to a liquid quick disconnect (black ones) and pump the CO2 in through the beer dip tube. This will force it to go through the beer to reach the head space, thus increasing the exposed surface area without having to babysit while shaking.

An alternative to shaking it is to hook up your gas to a liquid quick disconnect (black ones) and pump the CO2 in through the beer dip tube. This will force it to go through the beer to reach the head space, thus increasing the exposed surface area without having to babysit while shaking.

Ive carbed beers this way first starting out. Then switched to carbing through the gas side due to recommendation from a pro brewer and I was tired of swapping disconnects. The end result was the same. It wasnt quicker to force carb the beer through the dip tube. I looked into it more, and it was only with a diffusion stone attachment that would expedite the process (and I still dont know/feel if that is 100% accurate).

I agree with you though that carbing on the top end @30 psi in cold beer will typically result in almost ideally carbed beer @ 24 hours. Ive done this several times. I do this for most styles. For porters/stouts, I drop the psi down to 25

Perfect. Thanks everyone. I thought this was the case, but just wanted to confirm. I've over carb'd a number of times.

The headspace does slightly from keg to keg. So the absorption rate isn't always exact each time. I may try the 30psi / 24 hrs thing, I just am afraid of over-doing it.

I don't believe this is a correct statement. The beer can only absorb up to the head space pressure. If you set it to 12 psi, the beer can not absorb more than that - it has to equalize with the head space pressure.

I do reverse the gas when I carb and go down the dip tube/spear. However it doesn't seem to make a large difference, since the bubbles are large, and not small like I was using a CO2 stone.

Someday I'll have a bright tank, someday.

Back