Kegging root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepfat

Reaction score
I have had a 4 gallon batch of root beer in the corny for about a week at 36 psi. I still have minimal carbonation, almost none. My novice self only cut 5 1/2 feet of beverage line. I heard that I should have much more line for that psi.

Is this true? What is the formula?

I have had a 4 gallon batch of root beer in the corny for about a week at 36 psi. I still have minimal carbonation, almost none. My novice self only cut 5 1/2 feet of beverage line. I heard that I should have much more line for that psi.

Is this true? What is the formula?

I also just recently kegged some rootbeer (my first ever attempt at kegging) and found that my short 5 foot cobra tap was dispensing nothing but a foamy mess. someone sent me this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

and I tried the inserts (2 of them) with my rootbeer and immediately got a perfect pour! It was truly amazing. The cost of the extra hose is about = to if not more than the cost of these inserts and you dont have to worry about 15-25 feet of tubing taking up space.. trust me, they work great for rootbeer.

As to why your RB didn't carb, I cant say. Mine (usually 2 gallon batches in 5 gallon cornies) carb up adequately in 4 to 5 days at 30 PSI.. Your beverage line has nothing to do with how your RB carbs.. :mug:

when i make root beer i crank it up to 50 to 60 psi put a board on my lap invert corny that has chilled over night and i shake the corny for 15 mins gently till it really stops gurgling much. Then i disconnedt lower pressure back to normal and wait a bit and pull blowoff to vent excess pressure a few times till its to 0 then hook back up to gas and serve. has worked every time.

Rod

Hello.

I am planning my first kegging of regular beer but also want to add another tap for root beer. From what I have been reading the root beer should be served at a higher psi then the regular beer (along with a longer line). How do I split the two and use two different psi with only one tank?

Also, one gotcha is that my tank is on the outside of my kegerator with a single line leading in.

Thanks! (hope it was okay adding to this thread instead of starting a new one)

Hello.

I am planning my first kegging of regular beer but also want to add another tap for root beer. From what I have been reading the root beer should be served at a higher psi then the regular beer (along with a longer line). How do I split the two and use two different psi with only one tank?

Also, one gotcha is that my tank is on the outside of my kegerator with a single line leading in.

Thanks! (hope it was okay adding to this thread instead of starting a new one)

You'll need a separate regulator if you want to dispense at two different pressures. If the tank is outside, you'd need to run two lines inside from the separate regulators.

I was pretty sure you were gonna say I had to drill another hole in my kegerator :)

Thanks!

Sorry! Or, if you have room you can put the co2 tank inside, with a dual regulator.

I have one keg just for rootbeer. Same with the 25 feet of beerline it needs. The flavor of root beer will NOT come out. Ever. So, one keg and one long set of beerline is dedicated to it.

Thanks for the idea... I went directly to Grainger and ordered the insert! I've got the same foaming problems with rootbeer and your solution looks promising! Thanks.

Yooper's plan will work, but you could also look into a lower-input regulator to step down from the RB pressure to the beer pressure and put that inside the fridge.

Yooper's plan will work, but you could also look into a lower-input regulator to step down from the RB pressure to the beer pressure and put that inside the fridge.
Keep in mind, there is a limit to how low of a pressure differential a secondary regulator will handle and still regulate properly. Generally, beverage secondaries have a 200psi input limit, and a 100psi or so run to them for a 60psi max output They may work with a 20psi differential and still maintain accurate pressures, but running a 12psi line to one keg with a splitter to a secondary reg and setting it to 9psi will not work reliably.

Back