Kegging n00b questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
I received a lovely new 2.5 gallon corney keg, a smart looking tap, and a great looking regulator that for some reason makes me think of steam punk. I'll pump some pics below.

What other tubing and other bits-and-bobs do I need? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388583610.470918.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388583624.153289.jpg

ProfessorWoland said:
I received a lovely new 2.5 gallon corney keg, a smart looking tap, and a great looking regulator that for some reason makes me think of steam punk. I'll pump some pics below. What other tubing and other bits-and-bobs do I need?

The regulator should screw directly to your CO2 tank. Then you will need a gas line (couple feet of tubing, enough to be convenient but short enough to not be cumbersome). You will also need a beer line. Usually when you receive a kit it comes with these lines, but most people will recommend replacing the beer line because the standard 5' length is too short. Usually about 10-12' is enough to avoid foam. You will also need fittings to attach the lines to your keg. Do you have a LHBS? Usually they are pretty good about having all the parts you need and making good recommendations. Also make sure you know if your keg is ball lock or pin lock.

Looks like you have a party dispensing tap valve, so you won't need a dispensing hose like stated above, when it is time to tap your beer you just connect tap onto the out going side of your keg.

You need a co2 tank (filled)=welding supply, and a female fitting to barb end (for regulator) and hose and 2 hose clamps =hardware store, and a gas in-side keg connector with barb to connect your regulator to your keg =any LHBS, ebay, amazon, thats all you really need to make it work.

Congrats !

Cheers :mug:

WileECoyote said:
Looks like you have a party dispensing tap valve, so you won't need a dispensing hose like stated above, when it is time to tap your beer you just connect tap onto the out going side of your keg.

Good call...didn't notice that because it is right at the edge of the picture. I'll have to look more closely next time!

Normally your keg should be at about 10 - 12 psi to maintain normal carbonation levels (refer to carbing charts for specifics), but with the party tap, you will have to turn your pressure down to like 3 - 4psi to dispense you beer or you will have foam EVERYWHERE.

The reason is there isn't enough restriction in your liquid out tube to offset the pressure difference between the keg (10psi) and the tap (0psi). This extreme difference will cause the CO2 to come out of solution and create foam - lots of it.

All is not lost though, a few options:

You could leave your keg at a regular setting (10 - 12psi) and turn it down when you are going to be pulling a few pints and turn it back up when you are done for the night.

Forget the party tap (except when going to a party), get a picnic tap and about 6 - 8 ft of 3/16 dispensing tubing to provide enough restriction to prevent foaming

You could get one of those epoxy mixing sticks that are discussed here often and place them in your liquid out tube. They will provide enough restriction so that you could keep your keg at a normal setting while dispensing.

You could carb your beer up and since its only 2.5 gals, invite some friends over and kill it in one serving :)

Good luck

Normally your keg should be at about 10 - 12 psi to maintain normal carbonation levels (refer to carbing charts for specifics), but with the party tap, you will have to turn your pressure down to like 3 - 4psi to dispense you beer or you will have foam EVERYWHERE.

The reason is there isn't enough restriction in your liquid out tube to offset the pressure difference between the keg (10psi) and the tap (0psi). This extreme difference will cause the CO2 to come out of solution and create foam - lots of it.

All is not lost though, a few options:

You could leave your keg at a regular setting (10 - 12psi) and turn it down when you are going to be pulling a few pints and turn it back up when you are done for the night.

Forget the party tap (except when going to a party), get a picnic tap and about 6 - 8 ft of 3/16 dispensing tubing to provide enough restriction to prevent foaming

You could get one of those epoxy mixing sticks that are discussed here often and place them in your liquid out tube. They will provide enough restriction so that you could keep your keg at a normal setting while dispensing.

You could carb your beer up and since its only 2.5 gals, invite some friends over and kill it in one serving :)

Good luck

Really Good Information carluchi, I have never used a party tap, but next summer I am planing to take a keg camping with us and use a party tap, After reading your post Im thinking Ill just use the picnic tap instead.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388668467.483371.jpgHere's a close up of the tap. You sure it fits straight onto the keg?

I'm sure my brother said it would need tubing.

Hello, Your regulator will need hose and a few other things that I posted before.

The black part below your chrome tap is a liquid side ball lock connector, yes it is made to connect directly to the out post of the keg.

Happy Brewing !

I'm looking into what size CO2 canister to get.

Sadly I don't have a car, so will probably have to carry it in a rucksack (if needs be I'll buy a 60 litre rucksack - current I have a 30 litre hill walking rucksack and a 25 litre one which is much taller and designed for hillwalking.)

I think my CO2 tank is 2.5lbs which is enough for several 5 gallon kegs (including purging oxygen, carbonating and serving). It's probably 16-18" tall including valve but not regulator and 5-6" diameter.

That's roughly 1.1kg CO2, 400-450mm tall and 125-150mm diameter.

Hope that helps.

I think my CO2 tank is 2.5lbs which is enough for several 5 gallon kegs (including purging oxygen, carbonating and serving). It's probably 16-18" tall including valve but not regulator and 5-6" diameter.

That's roughly 1.1kg CO2, 400-450mm tall and 125-150mm diameter.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help and converting to metric :)

Back